• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Advise on a barrel length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobroman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am getting ready to order a new rifle its going to be a 36calb. But i cant decide in a 36in length or a 42in length barrel the barrel will be a 13/16 octagone and my lop is 14in so with that being said. The rifle with the 36in barrel will be appox 52in long the one with the 42in barrel will be 58in. so if it was you how would you go would a 58in gun be to heavy to accurtley shoot let me know your thoughts thanks

I am getting ready to order a new rifle its going to be a 36calb. But i cant decide in a 36in length or a 42in length barrel the barrel will be a 13/16 octagone and my lop is 14in so with that being said. The rifle with the 36in barrel will be appox 52in long the one with the 42in barrel will be 58in. so if it was you how would you go would a 58in gun be to heavy to accurtley shoot let me know your thoughts thanks

I probably wouldn't be the best one to answer this but I absolutely love longer barrels whenever possible. That includes any type of firearm that I purchase.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

Longer barrels gives a longer sight plane, thusly a easy rifle to shoot accurately. And yes they look better!

I would look for a 42" 3/4 ATF .36. Nice an slender and light. It all depends on how heavy you want it. I gave away a straight-sided 13/16" .40 because it was too heavy for me, but a .36 may be OK for you.

I have a 32 Southern Mountain rifle and it has a 39" barrel. It's light and balances good. Much longer makes it more cumbersome and harder to transport except in a full size truck or the like. It's about right for me anyway.

I built a TOTW kit SMR last year in ,45 cal with a 13/16.s wide barrel 36 inches long and it is an absolute delight to shoot , clean and carry. I'm a short man of 5'6" and it's harder for me to load and clean the 42 inch barrels. The shorter rifle is just as accurate, much handier , maybe a half pound lighter and will fit in my gun safe.

Latest posts

Back