• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markdwhite15

Chopper
Reaction score
So I bought a Lyman deerstalker stock, Lyman hunter lock, and tried mating them with a TC Pennsylvania Hunter barrel I have. Got the lock in with a little bit of work. Had to fit the TC tang to the Lyman breech. All to find that the hammer barley catches the rear lip of the nipple. After reading about frankenguns I thought I would try one. Anyone run into this problem? Ideas? This is a project for a loaner rifle, if I ever get it figured out.

Attachments

• IMG_20230530_074247.jpg
    IMG_20230530_074247.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230530_074225.jpg
    IMG_20230530_074225.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
The barrel needs to move back to place the nipple under the hammer, that means the tang and anything else to hold it. Guns aren’t as easy as tinker toys.

Yep, I built a few in my youth, trying to figure out something else, shouldn't have believed the folks who said said they would drop right in 🤔 will have to fill the pre existing tang screw holes and maybe shim the lock. Old men who can't see much anymore shouldn't tinker on guns I'm thinking. Thanks

Yep, I built a few in my youth, trying to figure out something else, shouldn't have believed the folks who said said they would drop right in 🤔 will have to fill the pre existing tang screw holes and maybe shim the lock. Old men who can't see much anymore shouldn't tinker on guns I'm thinking. Thanks
Not too complicated. But it's never fun starting over!

Oh I’m not saying it can’t be done, even an old four eyed fat man like me has a need to tinker! You just have to do more then assemble the pieces. Like putting Chevy rims on a Ford, after all they both have five bolts.:)

So I bought a Lyman deerstalker stock, Lyman hunter lock, and tried mating them with a TC Pennsylvania Hunter barrel I have. Got the lock in with a little bit of work. Had to fit the TC tang to the Lyman breech. All to find that the hammer barley catches the rear lip of the nipple. After reading about frankenguns I thought I would try one. Anyone run into this problem? Ideas? This is a project for a loaner rifle, if I ever get it figured out.
Since it already IS a frankengun, is there a different hammer available with a little more forward reach?

Back