• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forty_caliber

40 Cal
Reaction score
While building a flintlock I have a pin hole 1/16" diameter that has become elongated in the wood. Nothing wrong the pin is doing it's job, but it's ugly.

What is a clever way to fix it?

If it's not elongated much you might try a few drops of hot water and see if the wood will swell enough to fill it.
If large put an inlay on both sides for the pin to go through.

The pin is for a barrel under-lug on a Kibler. It's sleeting / snowing to beat the band here and the rifle is out in the shop building so a photo will have to wait. Not much room for an inlay but changing that pin for 1/8th" brass pin and filing it flush might work.

Just recently I filled a fine gouge in a dark walnut stock by getting some ground coffee and grinding it to a fine powder in a mortar and pestle. I then rubbed it into the gouge and dribbled on top a bit of CA glue. After tidying up by scraping with a razor blade and finishing it was completely invisible.

Hi 40cal,
If you decide to cover over the hole and drill an opening for the pin, here is how to do it. Forget sawdust, filler, dowels, etc. You need a small gouge and wood of the same kind. Take your small gouge and cut across the hole in the direction of the grain. Dig in shallowly from one end and then repeat from the other end until a shallow chip is removed. The cut should be shallow and maybe 3/16" long. The cut will look like a shallow football with he axis with the grain. Then do the same with either scrap wood or on some hidden spot on the stock. Cut out a little football shaped chip with the grain running along the axis. Then carefully apply super glue to the gouge in the stock and the back of the chip. Use a tooth pick and just put glue where you want it. press the oval chip into the oval gouge with the grain running in the same direction and hold in place for a few minutes with a screw driver. Let dry overnight and file and sand flush. Apply a little stain and finish and it will basically disappear. Then drill it to clear the hole. The forward barrel pin hole on this pistol was repaired that way because it chipped out when the pin was installed after the gun was finished. Can you find the repair?

dave
sjx2w1l.jpg

1/16" diameter is too small for an underlug. I'd switch to 3/32 or 1/16" music wire. Won't bend or mush up on you. Brass technically OK but not at all authentic.

I would almost bet it is the forward barrel pin that the problem is with. My first question would be do you have the underlugs slotted for the pin. Texas has very wide humidity variations and you are storing the rifle in your shop. The barrel is being anchored in the stock at the breech plug tang and the changes in humidity are moving the fore end of the stock creating a lot of pressure on that thin part of wood with the pin. Be certain you have enough slot clearance in your underlugs to allow for that expansion and contraction.
I am assuming a lot here but do check to see if that is causing the problem.

Back