• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need advice on installing cannon elevation screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dismount

40 Cal
Reaction score
Any of you builders can give me some pointers on accurately drilling hole for the elevator screw? Almost done and don’t want to jack it up

Yes, I would want to be careful at this point also. Not sure if you already have threaded rod with proper end to touch underneath cannon with four handles? I will be going to a place in a day or 2 that may have some acme rod, I am looking for some steel. Because of your construction of the carriage being kind of a box instead of solid. A block of wood could be added the width of center piece to give strength. And of proper looking length and height would give you a chance to get the angle correct for a vertical screw and in proper placement for the arc of the cannon. This could all be done separate from any of your already nicely made items and then fitted. Also if this is going to be loaded that a cannon with center trunnions will tend to kick up the back and the barrel drop down. Might need to check into what the barrel might hit when it drops down in front and if a part round block is needed up front where it might touch to distribute the hit. If you want me to look for acme tap and rod let me know what dia. you would want and price range. There are plenty of pictures of the elevation screw on the different civil war cannons including my model.

Yes, I would want to be careful at this point also. Not sure if you already have threaded rod with proper end to touch underneath cannon with four handles? I will be going to a place in a day or 2 that may have some acme rod, I am looking for some steel. Because of your construction of the carriage being kind of a box instead of solid. A block of wood could be added the width of center piece to give strength. And of proper looking length and height would give you a chance to get the angle correct for a vertical screw and in proper placement for the arc of the cannon. This could all be done separate from any of your already nicely made items and then fitted. Also if this is going to be loaded that a cannon with center trunnions will tend to kick up the back and the barrel drop down. Might need to check into what the barrel might hit when it drops down in front and if a part round block is needed up front where it might touch to distribute the hit. If you want me to look for acme tap and rod let me know what dia. you would want and price range. There are plenty of pictures of the elevation screw on the different civil war cannons including my model.
good point drilling a reinforcement block to achieve proper placement and it will be a drill block as well. that's what I needed. I already have my acme rod and acme nuts. don't need much elevation either way because this a salute cannon only no projectiles, not expecting a big amount of recoil and barrel bounce forward so I'm not drilling all the way through the trail, so as to not weaken wood that is close to a cheek bolt hole. I'm estimating a 12 degree hole angle. may not be right on any of this. but a oak block forward under the tube would be a good idea for sure. If i'm wrong on my thinking, tell me you can't hurt my feeling, since I am just spit balling this as I go. I can't thank you enough for this great help you saved my bacon. Phil

Yes, the wood block could be used as part of the build or just as a fixture to allow you to see the angle and position.
Have included a link to a much more information than needed on your particular build. But is interesting and deals with the elevation screw.
Relocating An Elevation Gear (screw) | Jays Custom Creations
Still think your cannon looks great and looking forward to pictures of this addition.

Yes, the wood block could be used as part of the build or just as a fixture to allow you to see the angle and position.
Have included a link to a much more information than needed on your particular build. But is interesting and deals with the elevation screw.
Relocating An Elevation Gear (screw) | Jays Custom Creations
Still think your cannon looks great and looking forward to pictures of this addition.
Ok thanks again will do more research thank you for the kind words

Back