• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need Advice On Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, been busy at work. First I want to thank you all for "all" of your advice. I realize it runs the gambit with different opinions, but that is exactly why I asked here. Been a member here for about a year when I first got the muzzle loading running thru my veins. First off I don't hunt BUT I back 100% the hunters and the sport. Its just me, unless I have no other choice then I would hunt. I do love target shooting. We live in a free Nation and it's a choice as individuals we make, and I'm good with that.

Now to the Pedersoli Brown Bess. Among my other long guns and pistols I started a few years back wanting to collect a long gun that can represent every American War/Conflict. I don't want wall hangers I want them able to shoot. I do stride for originals or originals restored properly. Unfortunately my budget restrains me from a few. My 1964 version M16, M4 I have built to exact, minus the select firing. My M14 is the civilian M1A version. This leads me the rest thru my pride of the 1863 Type 2 Springfield 100% originals along with the 1880 Tradoor Carbine, 1898 Krag, the 1903 Springfield and 1942 Garand and 1944 M1 Carbine have all been rebuilt by either the Armories or thru the times. All pristine, all shoot spot on so far at 100 yards including my 1863 Springfield.

This particular Brown Bess I found like all the rest by keeping my ears open thru in person private sales. I do realize the faults in comparison to an authentic one. But cost comes into mind. To obtain a shootable version would be mega dollars just like an original version of the M16,and M14, and M4 (range is in the 20-30K and up on those)

So for less than a grand this Pedersoli Brown Bess is brand new condition never fired, still with original box (NOT a kit gun). There is nothing wrong with it at all, the owner is pairing down his long gun collection. So I decided to pull the trigger on the sale. It will do, and like all my firearms my unwritten rule is once I own one I will never sell it off. Might I replace it's standing with the others if an original within budget is found? You Bet!! The pics of this BB are what I have, I will no doubt post up more when I get it and shoot it. Also posted the pic on what muzzle loaders I have already. 1. 1863 Type 2 Springfield (100% original), 2. 1852 Aston/Johnson Handgun (100% original), 3. TC Hawkins Flintlock kit rifle (made around 1977 (acquired it for free from a friend)
4. Small hunting round ball musket I found in a thrift store for $75, researched they were imported from Spain in the 1890's to Mexico nicknamed "A Monkey Gun" used to shoot small water foul and monkeys.

Last on my list is the 1841 Mississippi Rifle, that I will be hunting for an original, absolutely no replicas. Like I said in my opening post I would have posted the bunch I displayed but out of respect and rule being they are not all muzzle loaders I will not.

Thanks again guys, sorry for my long post. I may not post a lot but I'm always on here reading and learning, this site is the best!

Attachments

• IMG_E8465.JPG
    IMG_E8465.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_E8464.JPG
    IMG_E8464.JPG
    614.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_E8463.JPG
    IMG_E8463.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_E8462.JPG
    IMG_E8462.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_E8461.jpg
    IMG_E8461.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_E8457.JPG
    IMG_E8457.JPG
    341 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi Guys. Just to let you know I have the Pedersoli Brown Bess. It is brand new with box and paperwork. Never fired too! So now Im damn totally hooked!! After a good inspection and scoped the barrel. Took it out back and the Good Wife did the video, just had to try it out. All safe in the yard no homes, people or flat clear land, just thick woods and dirt burm about 60 yards away. I loaded up 90 grains 2F a .735 ball with lubed patch, in the pan just a small dash of 4F. I did what was suggested not to overload the pan. And let it loose! Just love it now gotta hit the range next week see how accurate at the 50, 75 and 100 yards. The video I slowed it down just a tad. And yes I wore eye and ear protection, I can see why.

Attachments

• Brown Bess Shoot .JPG
    Brown Bess Shoot .JPG
    618.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Bown Bess SloMo.mp4
    10 MB
Thanks for the advice Pathfinder. I did another video shooting while standing from a front view. Slow motioned it, you are absolutely correct! The front view literally showed me moving the barrel downward when the pan lit. Practice, practice will be hitting the range. Thanks!

Back