• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need advice breaking clays

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure that your problem is the wadding, as several folks have also said. Starr liked to use 3 to 4 .125 inch overshot cards, and no cushion wad. 3/8 cardboard or nitro wads work. Personally I find the fiber cushion wads (cut in half ) to be a waste of time, and the full cushion wads blow the pattern apart. If you fix your wads, I would expect that your recoil will increase significantly, enough to potentially produce a flinch. I've had good luck with 70 grs ffg, which I believe is very close to a "one ounce by volume"measure hence the one ounce square load (equal volume of powder and shot) coming from a single measure. 70 grs ffg has worked well for me in gauges from 19 to 10, although 4 overshot cards, as a wad, are seriously inadequate in my 10 guage. Fg powder will work just fine as will FFg and FFFg, patterns do change a bit, and fine tuning of amounts is ultimately a good idea, but they will all break clays at 0 degrees.

You are used to your 1187 and you're probably on the edge of your pattern, lead them a bit more and make sure you follow through. Many new to muzzleloaders stop their sweeping followthrough when they pull the trigger, myself included. I don't know why.
Robin

Thanks guys. I did buy some nitro cards, and started breaking them much better. I can feel the increase in recoil also. Ive also noticed myself stopping the swing after the trigger pull, something ive really got to work on. Thanks for all the advice!

Back