• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need a new lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtire

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a nice slim .40 cal flint gun awhile back and finally got around to shooting it. The tumbler and lockplate hole are both worn to where the hammer (cock sounded too funny-sorry)is wobbly and I can see light between the parts. I can find no markings on the gun and it wasn't even finished when I got it. Anyone know how to go about getting a lock that fits and works? 20200328_164357.jpg

The lock looks like the ones Dixie Gun works sold back in the 70's and early 80's. If you have a Track of the Wolf catalog they have their parts listed life size and you could match up a lock plate closer to yours. You can fix the one you have with a bushing in the lock plate and the tumbler may need to be changed also if it's not round. If you can't do it yourself it may cost more to have the old one fixed than to but a new one.

I see a number of recommendations from time to time on getting a Track catalog. I believe they are out of them at this time and I haven't heard that they have received any in some time. I recently ordered some stuff and requested a catalog and was advise they were out. I used their online site to request being advised when one would be available and have not received any notice. I think they haven't had any for quite a while.

Depending on the hardness of the tumbler and the lockplate, maybe only one or the other is worn. Could be that changing just the tumbler would fix the problem. Another thought - if the gun wasn't finished how did the lock get worn?

Contact L&R Lock Company. Explain your situation and ask if they would let you send yours to them and recommend a replacement. They make replacements for several (I have several in service). Good locks and great folks to deal with. They’ll even swap a goose neck for a double throat cock or vice versa. There may be some minor wood removal required or if you feel your skills and tools on hand aren’t up to it, you could ask if they’ll trim to fit. Even locate screw holes. I’ve not asked about such custom service but no reason not to ask.

Also I suggest you get spare springs too.

There is a way to get around the lack of the Track of the Wolf catalog. You can go to the Track of the Wolf website and search for the Flintlocks, Rifle. TotW There's 50 locks to look at. If you see a lock that looks promising, print that page of the catalog. You will print a nearly actual sized image of the lock to compare with your lock. I've use that to print an image of my locks to use as a template for inletting the lock in my stock.

You can contact Paul Ackerman here. Link>Home
He fixed a lock for me a couple weeks ago and he was cheap. He has lots of parts or can fabricate what you need.

Last edited:
Back