• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need A Good Muzzle Loading Bandsaw....Hobby Type....Under 400....Best Brand?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

64Springer

75 Cal.
Reaction score
In the market for a good quality bench style band saw for light muzzle loading work/light woodworking. Pistol stocks, small metal parts, barrel chopping, etc.

I'll build a wooden structure to support it and weigh it down with lead, so I don't need the added cost of a cheesy metal stand.

Would like to stay under 400 bucks. If you guys have first hand knowledge/you actually own one, I'd like to hear recommendations.

Holes in the base for bolting the unit down is a big plus.

Thank you.

Delta brand I've owned before. Good quality.

Just looked at a Ryobi bandsaw at Home Depot. Junk. Pure junk gadgetry for 219 bucks. Ryobi used to be a fantastic and well built tool. But this was 20 years ago.

I can't believe what the American consumer puts up with in this modern plastic craptastic era.

In the market for a good quality bench style band saw for light muzzle loading work/light woodworking. Pistol stocks, small metal parts, barrel chopping, etc.

I'll build a wooden structure to support it and weigh it down with lead, so I don't need the added cost of a cheesy metal stand.

Would like to stay under 400 bucks. If you guys have first hand knowledge/you actually own one, I'd like to hear recommendations.

Holes in the base for bolting the unit down is a big plus.

Thank you.
This one works for me, but you will not beat the price I got it for. I was at Lowes just lookin at tools, and saw this new in the box. Sign said "Close out, $150.00." I never had or seen a deal like that. Paid for it right on the spot. Been a good bandsaw. I did add removable table extensions with a little plywood for cutting long items like gun stocks. Not as good as my father's 220 volt Delta, but I like it. Can't help you with a today cost.
Larry

IMG_1199.JPG

Lowe's had not a single bandsaw. Not even a place on the shelves for a bandsaw.

A few years back big box stores were littered with bandsaws of all sizes and quality.

Not no mo.

Did a search on Craigs list, Pittsburgh and Erie. Saw many at crazy prices some at fair prices and a couple at very good prices. Don’t know what might show up in your area.

Delta brand I've owned before. Good quality.

Just looked at a Ryobi bandsaw at Home Depot. Junk. Pure junk gadgetry for 219 bucks. Ryobi used to be a fantastic and well built tool. But this was 20 years ago.

I can't believe what the American consumer puts up with in this modern plastic craptastic era.

Bought a Ryobi tire inflator a few years back. The stupid thing worked twice and crapped out. Their drills aren’t quite as bad.

Did a search on Craigs list, Pittsburgh and Erie. Saw many at crazy prices some at fair prices and a couple at very good prices. Don’t know what might show up in your area.
Central PA here. Plenty of bandsaws on Craigslist. Do not look in any specific category. Use the search function to get them across multiple categories. And expand the search to other areas. You will then find more some of which will be a relatively easy drive.

I have only cut wood soft enough to carve with knives. Wouldn't consider cutting metal with it. Not powerful enough and no metal cutting blades. As with the Porter Cable about $150.00 give or take some. Bought it on line.

Metal cutting bandsaw, too slow speed for wood. Viceversa for a wood cutting bandsaw.
I use a cheep Taiwan horizontal metal cutting saw that cost $50 at a yard sale and a $75 craftsman wood cutting saw for all wood and softer materials.
Shop around.

Go to Harbor Freight Tools. You won't necessarily get the BEST quality, but it won't break the bank either and when it wears out, you can replace it easily enough. I have acquired quite a few HFT over the years and for the most part, they have held up well enough. Got one old drill press that has a wonky chuck... which is replaceable, but that one got knocked off the bench by a skid steer some years back and has generally not been well taken care of.

I picked up a older stand up model Jet….

For $275. Similar in size too the stand up pictured above..👍
I love Jet. Woodcrafters next to my house sold the Jet line.

They sold Rikon too. Another great company. My disc/belt sander is still running strong after ten years.

The store closed. Too many people gave up on making their own stuff. When I bash modern men as cocoa sipping jammie wearing wussies, this is why. Not enough testosterone to keep woodworking and metalworking stores in business.

In the market for a good quality bench style band saw…..

Would like to stay under 400 bucks…….

Holes in the base for bolting the unit down is a big plus…..
Good quality and under $400 may be tough. I’d suggest shopping around for a used one.

Here is a photograph of my Craftsman bandsaw, forget DOM, but it’s well over 50 years old. Paid $10 for it. Had to haul it home and replace the plug (the reason it didn’t work). Got untold number of saw blades with it. No fancy electronic controls. Have to change the pulley size if I want to change the speed. Could probably use new tires, less than $20 on Amazon.

Buddy has two of these set up in his shop. One for wood, the other for metal. Throat is 12” deep and it can cut up to 3-1/2”+ thick stock (it will cut a 4x4).

With this particular model you would have to have clearance through your bench for the drive pulley if you got rid of the cheesy metal stand.
1612560406703.jpeg

Latest posts

Back