• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need a Cannon for wife!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like my folks. 1942 mom's family moved back to PA and they met.. 10 years old 4th grade... took a while, but yea they married, 8 years later had me in 1962.

Seriously contact South Bend replicas even if you find a piece somewhere else.. They are the only ones I trust to go over for safety and to make it safe if it is possible...

Also, don't dither with sale models unless you get one sized for the shelf to see after getting a real one.
SB also hears a lot of times when someone is selling and why I mentioned it...Chances are, he'd be familiar with the piece as well.
He's the one that works on the ships arms for Consitituion, Constelation, Ft. Niagara and so many other places and movies.

Do yourself a favor and get an enclosed trailer with a ramp and z track... Put in a couple extra vents like the semi trailers use.
Most the extras Powder box, linstock, rammer, worm, sponge, vent pick etc.. you can make yourself. Just buy leather work gloves. Use a wood or brass bucket for swabbing water.
I can guide you on how to make quills so you all can fire it without relying on det chord.
NMLRA does have cannon certification and classes.
Thanks for the site info. I'll check it out.

Saw a brass cannon on carriage in local gun shop in Boulder, Co. (Gunsport). Small bore, 1" or so. Didn't ask price but was still available last week. At first it looked like the title said want a cannon for my wife. Were you trading your wife for a cannon? Picture of wife and picture of cannon. Seriously you are a lucky guy to be married 45 plus years. She could fire it off at all anniversaries plus fourth of July, New Year's, etc. Let us know what you wind up getting.

I got a cannon for my wife; I figure I got the best of the trade.

!cid_88DDB92AEE2F40D88D2CED72492F32A5@Userpc - Copy - Copy.jpg

Dixie gun works has em. Or a nice gatling gun might make her happy. They got those as well. They can be to scale to avoid the sheriff inquiry.
It's always best to visit law enforcement in person with pictures to show what you want to do before you do it. A dear friend in Lake Charles, La, used to dress up in a full hairy bear suit and ride around throwing handfuls of candy out of his Cadillac convertible to children every holiday. He always went by the LE's to show them the bags of candy, Never had a problem, they knew when, where and so forth he was operating and he made lots of friends, including some sweet toothed deputies, LOL! You may not have as benevolent an experience, but at least you will know where you stand, and the law will get to know you, and that you mean no harm.

Last edited:
I vote for a full scale howitzer. Go big or go home. Want to trade wives. 🤣
Sorry, she's one of a kind!!
Don't despair, many women love the big guns and our outfit (1st Arkansas Light Artillery, CSA,) even fielded a complete cannon crew which included my wife and daughter. These kinds of women do not know the word 'can't'.

I vote for a full scale howitzer. Go big or go home. Want to trade wives. 🤣
About half scale Napoleon size on a Naval carriage built right will be easy to move indoors and to events. I would second the motion on a full scale mortar, they don't take up much room and give your living room a no BS look. they can be a lot of fun, and can even be part of a section of artillery (two guns) in a reenactment.

Two things I don't understand. Why would anyone let a wife dictate whether he could buy a cannon or not. Why would any one buy or build a cannon that cannot be fired. Maybe it's just me. Think I'll go shoot a cannon today.

Captn, it's not my Cannon. Got it for my wife. She's more than happy with it. It's a small .50 caliber brass Cannon.

Back