• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Need a barrel Built

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassdog1

32 Seneca Guy
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a 45 cal TC Cherokee barrel that someone drilled into the barrel when installing a scope. I want to use the breech plug and a couple of other parts as donors to have a barrel made for a Seneca. I want a browned/ plum colored barrel 28 Inches long with a slow round ball twist with primitive sights installed would require sights, under rib and a new 13/16ths barrel. Anyone interested in taking on such a task. I really like my Seneca But would like to make it a little more traditional. Have a 32 and 45 barrel for it so would like to have a 36 barrel this time.

I have other barrels for this gun just wanting a more traditional looking style barrel for it. Do not want to spend the money to have an extra barrel of the same style.

Rice will make you a drop-in for your gun, any length, any caliber, it might cost less if you send him your parts to include in the barrel build, he doesn't advertise that he makes drop-ins but he does. Get ready to get off your wallet, this type of barrel will cost you almost as much as your gun is worth with a TC barrel.

I bought a new GM drop-in for my TC when they were as scarce as hens teeth, it cost me $310 to my door, no telling what total custom will cost you.

Being uh, frugal, I'd pick the Bobby Hoyt choice. But I know everyone isn't like that and doing it the way one likes to do it is all that really counts. Good luck.

Green Mountain once offered "drop ins" for Lyman GPR's and maybe TC's as well, I honestly don't remember. May be worth an inquiry.

They never made the drop-ins for the Cherokee & Seneca with their 13/16ths barrels. And it’s very rare these days to see any listed for the Hawken or Renegades.

I have the wedge escutcheon, ramrod guides and a donor breech plug. Would have to buy an appropriately threaded barrel, a set of primitive sights and under rib and have the barrel assembled between 28-30 inch. Could probably do the browning myself. Just a project I would like to do to dress up a Seneca. Love shooting it with the 32 barrel but find myself wanting something a little more traditional as far as color of barrel and sights. Dont really want to alter the 32 factory barrel as it is in excellent condition and was very hard to find. Having a 40 built in flint but its taking a while which I knew going into it. I watch for nice traditional guns in flint and percussion just have not found one that really calls out to me in a caliber that I want. Love my small cal TCs but have sold several to members here and only kept a Seneca and Cherokee in 32 with 45 cal barrels for each. Just am feeling drawn towards more traditional guns lately and thought building this barrel might cure the itch for a while.

They never made the drop-ins for the Cherokee & Seneca with their 13/16ths barrels. And it’s very rare these days to see any listed for the Hawken or Renegades.
They made them at some point (green mtn) I have a 40cal drop in for my Seneca. Picked it up a couple years ago, unfired, in the white. Had it blued and found sights for it but haven't shot it yet.

Maybe I am missing something but if sights and barrel color are the issue just install different sights and refinish the barrel and have Bobby reline done deal JMO

Another place that makes drop-ins is the Oregon Barrel company listed at the Gun Works Emporium, they only list 15/16 and 1" barrel in any length or caliber but being a completely custom made barrel they may make one in 13/16 if you supplied your parts.

Everyone here seems to believe Bobby Hoyt only rebores and relines barrels. Mr Hoyt also makes barrels to your specifications. I have not had him make any, but some well known builders use him as a barrel source for their custom guns.

Latest posts

Back