• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Neck Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonehunter

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Have not posted in a while, Just finished this one.
4 1/8" Blade of 0-1 steel
3 3/8" Full tang handle
Curly Maple slabs
Iron pins
Sheath of 5/6oz veg tan leather
Thanks for looking and all comments welcome

100_3470 by lonehunter1, on Flickr

Rifleman1776 said:
Very nice but a bit big for a neck knife, IMHO.

How so? A 4" blade is a large knife? Many/most of the NDNS of the northern regions carried their main scalper knives in that manner. Anything smaller than this knife, is for cleaning finger nails, or performing surgery. Tiny neck knives are for the most part, a rendezvous thing.

Rifleman1776 said:
Not a giraffe :rotf: ... All kidding aside, I think it's fine. And ya can't go wrong with curly maple... :wink:

Rifleman1776 said:

as Wick noted original NDN neck knives still in existence or examined vai period docs/images are all in the 6-7"+ blade length range (mostly either scalpers or butcher style trade knives dependent on era and place) and not the real short blades so common today, which is a modern "mis-conception" not based on historical facts...

Rifleman1776 said:
As matter of a fact, I just got done with one from a pattern that a gentleman sent to Miss Tudy that was copied from his knife that was supposed to be an original. That has a 4 3/8" blade and a 3 1/4" handle...

Nifeman said:
Rifleman1776 said:
As matter of a fact, I just got done with one from a pattern that a gentleman sent to Miss Tudy that was copied from his knife that was supposed to be an original. That has a 4 3/8" blade and a 3 1/4" handle...

I yield. :surrender:
I did qualify with: IMHO :redface:
To me, the bigger neck knives have a danger factor I am not comfortable using, personally.

They are supposed to be an anachronism for the average white dude of the colonial period, but I have one and use it all the time... field dressed a deer with it (as usual), the date for the last deer I got was Jan 10th. Very handy knives, in a handy location. Don't know why they supposedly didn't catch on with white dudes in that location.

That one is super nice... hey listen if you ever need an independent, long term, unbiased, durability test of one... I volunteer.

:grin:

LD

Nice clean lines! I like your scabbard design, looks like it would lay nicely against your chest. I always wondered why neck knives used at Voos were normally so small and I just figured it was a "period correct" thing.

Back