• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NEBRASKAN'S ROLL CALL!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK you charcoal burners from the great state of Nebraska! Now's the time to let yourselve's and your M/L organiation be known!

What type of smokepole do you shoot and type of ignition? Are you a green beginner or a old 'skinner? I'v been 35 plus year's in the black powder mode and we all can learn or teach from each other, I'm told!

Want to hear from all of you! :yakyak: :bull:

Rick Froehlich
Omaha

I ain't in Nebraska any more but I lived there for 50 years and still own a share of a farm NW of Fremont. Does that count or am I unwelcome here? Ya kin take the boy outta Nebraska but ya cain't take Nebraska outta the boy . . .

Only been shootin' front stuffers for 17 years, but sure did take a shinin' to 'em when I did finally start. Can't count all I have on ten fingers. Flinters or percussion, custom or factory, makes no never mind to me. Right now my go to ML is a .54 GPR perc built from a "kit" by someone other than me. Just started a Leman .58 project I hope to have done before I pass on. Currently not hooked up with an organized group in AR but shot for about 10 years with the Sioux River Muzzleloaders out of Sioux City, IA. Still make an appearance every couple of years at the Lewis and Clark Festival in Onawa, IA - meet numerous folks from the Omaha-CB area every time.

Hi Otter,

Nope, ya don't really have to be a Nebraskan, but I was just wondering if any Huskers besides me were watching this thread? You mentioned shooting with the Sioux City club. I shot a little with them back in the later seventies. I remember that mountain howtizer project they were working on. One of my favorite smokepoles is a custom early full stock Hawken .54 cal. Rod Olsen of Kennard, Nebraska made it for me back in 1976. It's still my #1 hunting rifle and I have been lucky to have taken many deer, 2 black bear and a monster 1600# Buffalo over the year's with it! In more recent time, an because my 59 year old eye's aren't as keen as they use to be for shooting. I spend alot of my days making my powder horns.

Watch how your stick floats,
Rick Froehlich

Rick,

By the time I joined up with the club in Sioux City ('91 maybe '92?) the mountain howitzer was a thing of the past. The carriage was all that was left and it was sold to supplant the club funds (I think). Anyway, I never saw either.

Will be making the annual trek that direction in a few weeks for the annual deer season gathering at the farm. Later . . .

I grew up in the Sandhills North of Arthur, Nebraska. Built my first muzzle loader pistol in about 1973 or so. All I bought was the barrel and the nipple. Double OO buckshot with Levi patches worked perfect. Now live in SE Missouri and use a half stock Hawkin I built from scratch in 54 caliber. Stock was a chunk of curly maple, Davis double set triggers and an L&R lock.

I built a matching 54 pistol from scratch. Siler lock and double set triggers.

Am going to work on a flintlock over the winter. Have a Douglas barrel in 45 caliber. Was thining about a Durs Egg but will probably go with a Chambers lock. Have a curley maple stock for it.

We live in Missouri but my heart will always be in the Sandhills. Matter of fact we have a small winery and it's called Sandhills Winery.

Good to hear from you all.

Sandhiler

Rick and I have connected via Private Message- but I am a native son of Nebraska, spent a few years headed east, but returned 4 years ago. Really been shooting mainly blanks for historical presentations and living history of the mid-19th century for the better part of 2 or 3 decades. Hunted with a few different weapons, but only taken game with the 1842 Springfield. The boys in Virginia looked at me funny at their "deer" camp when I busted out the 1842 with round ball cartridges. Those poor little deer had never seen a real black powder gun!

I look forward to any Cornhusker interaction we can have!

Over in the big "O" here. Built my first BP rifle the summer before I started high school. Don't have many but I am surely fond of the ones I got's.

Although I was born up in the Sandhills, I've been way out west in the Panhandle for a long time now. Mainly flinters, a couple of caplocks nestled in the bunch, though. Did historical trekking and rendezvous a long time ago, thought about Civil War, just never "pulled the trigger".

I'm a Sky Pilot or Preacher
Living near the center of the Nebr in Arcadia. I am using a Lyman GPR in .54 capper. I have a couple of doe permits that I want to fill with it, I have used modern muzzle-loaders to fill tags before but after years of absents from muzzleloader seen I am ready. I would like to get a shotgun and a flinter.

Although I was born up in the Sandhills, I've been way out west in the Panhandle for a long time now. Mainly flinters, a couple of caplocks nestled in the bunch, though. Did historical trekking and rendezvous a long time ago, thought about Civil War, just never "pulled the trigger".
Born in Scottsbluff in 1945...Graduated Gering class of 1963. We ever met?

It's an odd thing about Nebraska,
I have been selling my System internationally for35 years and have subscribers in Argentina to New Zealand and, I believe every state in the union, but very few to Nebraskans.
Tons have gone to Pennsylvania, California and quite heavily to most of the other states but few to my own home state. Iowa is also low on the list so I have come to believe those folks don't want or need any help or have limited interest
A
classmate of mine went to teach music in Scottsbluff and suggested that they drop the football program and beef up the music program. he was considered to be insane and was driven out of town.

Dutch

Born in Scottsbluff in 1945...Graduated Gering class of 1963. We ever met?

Rick & all-
I hail from Norfolk (northeast part of state). Built my first frontloader (a percussion pistol) in high school shop class in mid-70s along with a walnut case/box to store it in. (Oh, how times have changed.)

I'm in Kansas now, but grew up in south-central Nebraska and lived there for about the first half of my life. I still say Go Big Red although my daughters went to K-State.

moved to rural sheridan co. 22 years ago, sheridan co. is all my daughter and son know. both are in college in chadron. the daughter is about done and our son is just starting. their is so much land to hunt on it is mind staggering. shoot off of my decks all the time.

its flooding in south central ne. dam may go out. its only begun. way more snow that we usually get. the rains have not started yet.its flooding in s.dak and fargo n.dak is getting ready for the red to flood.

I'M JEALOUS. I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN OMAHA, LEFT FOR MISSOURI IN '52 ONLY BEEN BACK BRIEFLY FOR REUNIONS

I HAVEN'T HAVE MUCH CONTACT WITH NEraska Ml'ers, Glad to see there actually are some in my home state.

Dutch Schoultz

moved to rural sheridan co. 22 years ago, sheridan co. is all my daughter and son know. both are in college in chadron. the daughter is about done and our son is just starting. their is so much land to hunt on it is mind staggering. shoot off of my decks all the time.

Born and raised in the panhandle and reside in McCook. My 14 year old son has a Lyman GP 50 and i shoot a custom 50. We started last year and are loving it. A really good friend of ours got us started and have been to maybe a half dozen rendezvous. It's a great time. Got to meet Don Strinz before he passed. What a special man!

I am back on my second military tour here near Omaha and plan to retire and stay for a good while. Nebraska is a truly amazing state for a dedicated outdoorsman, and I feel utterly privileged to live in the area. My wife and I love it!

I am a gunsmith here in Gothenburg but admit that I am a transplant and have been in Nebraska about 22 years now, and have been playing with my trusty Zouave for aBout 40 years along with a .50 cal CVA Hawken and a .50 cal Kentucky pistol. I also like my longbows too. 😊

Back