• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NC transport regulations?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. 16 gauge

32 Cal
Reaction score
Planning a turkey hunting trip for NC next spring. I know that I can hunt turkeys with my muzzleloading shotguns; my question has more to do with transport of firearms. He in MI, a gun is considered "unloaded" and legal to transport if the caps have been removed on a caplock (but a load still in the barrel), and in the case of a flintlock, if the pan is empty and the hammer is lowered all the way (I also put a quill in the touch hole as well). Is NC law similar, or do the charges have to be removed from the barrels prior to transport? I am guessing that the oufitter will be moving to different spots if we are unsuccessful......I've tried to navigate the NC dept of wildlife website to find the answer, but have not come across anything re: this.
Thank you in advance...................

Put in locking case- lock gun in case uncapped or if flint with no powder in pan and
cock down. Then lock in trunk of vehicle. This is good for most states--however in the
Northeast CALL THE STATE POLICE OR HIGHWAY PATROL AND ASK.

ML shotguns and rifles don't generate a lot of transportation problems and the laws are subject to local perspectives. Never carry one capped or primed and if possible, out of sight or in a case. Don't break traffic laws or speed and stay away from urban areas like Charlotte, Raleigh, W Salem, Greensboro and Asheville. Regardless of the laws, breaking other laws will cause unnecessary scrutiny that would otherwise not occur. State Troopers and local LE are generally respectful as long as you act right. As far as the LAW goes, you're subject to the LE individual when approached and he/she probably won't know the real answer either. Be respectful ( yes sir/ma'am, no sir/ma'am) and act like you got some sense and you'll be fine. Don't ride around with a spotlight and a loaded gun while drinking a cold one either...

"I am guessing that the oufitter will be moving to different spots if we are unsuccessful......"

Follow your outfitters instructions and you will be fine.

I have not seen anything in the hunting regulations regarding transport of muzzleloaders. NC is rather vague on a lot of things in this regard. Best practice is not to transport loaded. Should not be a problem to discharge the weapon before moving locations if you are on a hunt.

A smooth bore is so easy to pull a load, why not just do that? Other than powder you can literally re-use the components. Pull it or get a CO2 discharges and send it into a bucket so you can recycle the pieces.

I have not seen anything in the hunting regulations regarding transport of muzzleloaders. NC is rather vague on a lot of things in this regard. Best practice is not to transport loaded. Should not be a problem to discharge the weapon before moving locations if you are on a hunt.
Other than powder you can literally re-use the components.
Seeing as how I can no longer find ANY black powder, I would like to keep from having to fire the weapon just to unload it if moving from spot to spot.
Every grain of BP is valuable now...............................................

What part of North Carolina are you coming to? I have a couple pounds I could sell you
Not a very good idea.
1639851938974.png

From New York originally. In the Carolinas almost 30 years.
Thats cool, I've made it out of the holler up here in the Appalachian mountains a few times but have always come back.
Great granddads great-great granddaddy was born and laid to rest up here. from the looks of things and how my life has went thus far I figure its destined for me too lol
Ya know the saying.... The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree!

engages in the business......... selling between persons is not engaging in business.
same verbiage is used in relation of selling firearms. i can sell my personal guns to any legal buyer.
You are correct about personal guns, depending on local laws. As far as blackpowder, an explosive, when we questioned a LEO, off the record they said they usually wouldn’t do anything for someone obviously selling a personal pound or two, but if selling more than that or if there was a complaint, it would be up to the courts to decide. Guess that would require a lawyer and all that goes with that experience.
1639857816704.jpeg

Back