• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NC Army Veteran: Green as Green Can be.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Samouce

40 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy fellas!
My name is Jerry. I live near Raleigh NC.
I own my own working forge, and I am a blacksmith and a bronze smith on the side.
and I have excellent wood working and leather working skills.
I am also the owner Old Soldier Ironworks!

I am a 52 year old, US Army Veteran with a Revolutionary War fetish.
I am in over 25 books into Revolutionary war history... Own a timeshare at Colonial Williamsburg... Own a large collection of real Revolutionary War currency... ect...
Yeah, I got it BAD!

I am seriously moving toward Revolutionary War reenacting.
and I am slowly building a rig for reenacting as a NC Mountain Patriot Scott.
Yeah, Not too many of those, but my Whiteside Scottish relatives where some of the few who refused the Tory call, and fought as patriots at Cowpens, Kings Mountain and Yorktown. Because there where very few Scottish patriots, there is very little written about NC Highlander Scotts as Patriots. So, I am not sure what type of Flintlock they would have most likely been owned by them.

I am familiar with Modern Fire Arms and own many.
BUT... I know NOTHING about black powder firearms and Revolutionary War Flintlocks!

I have read much about the Kentucky Long Rifleman's role in the war.
and I am sort of leaning that way, but as I said, I also know little about what type of flintlock a NC Highlander would have most likely owned. I would like to own a working historically accurate revolutionary War flintlock someday. But where to start?

I have never fired a Black powder rifle. Thus, I know little to nothing of what musket accessories I would eventually need, the caliber best suited for me, or the costs involved.

What advice would you give a totally clueless individual to the flintlock. What is the best most efficient way to start my education?

Last edited:
There are more knowledgeable people here then myself. I personally would use that timeshare and visit the blacksmith shop and armory at Williamsburg and ask as many questions as they will answer. I was even allowed to handle one of their reproductions after asking

Welcome to the forum. :)

This isn't the place to get into talking about flintlocks but if you go to the Flintlock area of the forum you'll find a treasure of information. Feel free to ask anything you want there. We've got a bunch of people who will be more than happy to help answer your questions.

Howdy fellas!
My name is Jerry. I live near Raleigh NC.
I own my own working forge, and I am a blacksmith and a bronze smith on the side.
and I have excellent wood working and leather working skills.
I am also the owner Old Soldier Ironworks!

I am a 52 year old, US Army Veteran with a Revolutionary War fetish.
I am in over 25 books into Revolutionary war history... Own a timeshare at Colonial Williamsburg... Own a large collection of real Revolutionary War currency... ect...
Yeah, I got it BAD!

I am seriously moving toward Revolutionary War reenacting.
and I am slowly building a rig for reenacting as a NC Mountain Patriot Scott.
Yeah, Not too many of those, but my Whiteside Scottish relatives where some of the few who refused the Tory call, and fought as patriots at Cowpens, Kings Mountain and Yorktown. Because there where very few Scottish patriots, there is very little written about NC Highlander Scotts as Patriots. So, I am not sure what type of Flintlock they would have most likely been owned by them.

I am familiar with Modern Fire Arms and own many.
BUT... I know NOTHING about black powder firearms and Revolutionary War Flintlocks!

I have read much about the Kentucky Long Rifleman's role in the war.
and I am sort of leaning that way, but as I said, I also know little about what type of flintlock a NC Highlander would have most likely owned. I would like to own a working historically accurate revolutionary War flintlock someday. But where to start?

I have never fired a Black powder rifle. Thus, I know little to nothing of what musket accessories I would eventually need, the caliber best suited for me, or the costs involved.

What advice would you give a totally clueless individual to the flintlock. What is the best most efficient way to start my education?
Welcome to the forum from the western end of NC. No known cure for your affliction, so may as well embrace it.

Welcome to the forum. :)

This isn't the place to get into talking about flintlocks but if you go to the Flintlock area of the forum you'll find a treasure of information. Feel free to ask anything you want there. We've got a bunch of people who will be more than happy to help answer your questions.
ok... I will repost this there... Thanks!

NC Club located in Fuquay-Varina not far from you. Chances are one of their members will respond to this post. Lots of knowledge in that group and you could see first hand some fine examples.

Welcome from RI. Great group of members here always willing to help and answer questions. Zonie got you started on the right path. The flintlock section is a wealth of information. Check out the revolutionary war forum, also a great wealth of information. Read ask questions and enjoy. Art

Jerry,

Welcome to the Forum. They ought to rename it “Muzzleloading College”. A fountain of knowledge from all walks of life and backgrounds.

I hope you can come to the Lafayette Long Rifles next shootin’ match near Duncan off Hwy 42 on March 28th. Our club is a mix of “F&I and Rev War” living history folks and tackle box shooters like myself, about 40 strong.

We shoot on the 4th Saturday of the month, and many of our members are either active duty or retired military veterans.
In our bunch, we have a gunmaker, knifemakers, blacksmiths, horners and weavers, just to mention a little of the talent.

Hope you will enjoy your stay here.

Buck Buchanan
Field Rep - NC
NMLRA

Welcome, Jerry, from a fellow NC blackpowder shooter!

Thank you for your service. My son is currently serving as a Lt. in the Army. You have come to the right place. I have owned (but not used much) muzzle loaders for 20+ years, but still consider myself a "newbie." I learn something new, or find some interesting info here, pretty much every time I log on.

UndeadPoet

Back