• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earl Burlin said:
1) Why is it called "Navy"? The "Moll" part refers to David Moll, the maker, but were these pistols used by the U.S. Navy?

It was called the Navy because Pedersoli's marketing department thought it would create a buzz among the uninitiated.

Apparently, they are good at their job in marketing. :wink:

Earl,

No matter what the pistol is called, is there any way you can actually handle the pistol before you buy it? Perhaps at a gun shop or sporting goods store? MUCH better still, if you know anyone who has one and may allow you to fire a shot or two?

The reason I mention this is because I had all but forgotten I had purchased a percussion pistol VERY similar to this one whilst on vacation in Denver, CO and shortly before I went on active duty in 1971. I did not have a chance to shoot it for several months later, though I found time to shoot my then "brand new" TC .50 Hawken Rifle a few times while home on Boot Camp leave in January 1972.

Though I had liked the look of my pistol as well, I found it very difficult to shoot well as it did not fit my hand well at all and was difficult to grip properly and shoot well. I wound up trading it off as soon as I could after that and of course lost some money on the deal. Had I taken the time to actually handle it more in the gun shop, or better still been able to fire it a couple times, I would have saved my hard earned money and passed on that pistol.

You or others may find your experience far different from mine, but it is something to think about if you intend to shoot it.

Gus

I don't know anyone who has one of these. Most of my friends are tacticool operators operating operationally, and only shoot "glawks n' ey ahrs (Glocks and AR's)" as it were. :(

I sure wish that more places sold these neat guns. Even Cabelas and Bass Pro don't stock Pedersoli pistols.

Earl Burlin said:
Well I don't know... I just don't know...

Pedersoli can make a very nice pistol though, I know that for a fact. Here is my Harpers Ferry they made:

20160212_115021_1.jpg
I sure love the looks of that pistol!

Respectfully, Cowboys1062 :thumbsup:

Yeah I believe so. I have been immensely happy with my Harpers Ferry pistol. I once buggered a screw and emailed Pedersoli. They got back to me within a day, and not a week and a half later I got a letter in the mail from Italy with two spare screws absolutely free of charge. I have also conversed via email with Pierangelo Pedersoli and he is very nice and interested in feedback from the shooters.

Cowboy said:
Earl Burlin said:
Well I don't know... I just don't know...

Pedersoli can make a very nice pistol though, I know that for a fact. Here is my Harpers Ferry they made:

20160212_115021_1.jpg
I sure love the looks of that pistol!

Respectfully, Cowboys1062 :thumbsup:

Thank you! It sure can shoot as well:

uytre.jpg

Not bad for a smoothbore cavalry pistol. :)

Earl Burlin said:
I don't know anyone who has one of these. Most of my friends are tacticool operators operating operationally, and only shoot "glawks n' ey ahrs (Glocks and AR's)" as it were. :(

I sure wish that more places sold these neat guns. Even Cabelas and Bass Pro don't stock Pedersoli pistols.

I understand, Earl, so my advice is not to order one until and unless you can at least handle one, to see if you can grip and aim it well. (Being able to at least dry fire it a few times would be much better as well, but very few gun sellers will allow you to do that.) Do you ever travel to one of the larger cities in Kansas or a gun show where you might be able to handle one?

Pedersoli make good guns, but I have to politely disagree that they are not "top notch" guns. Please understand I say this having owned and competed with a Pedersoli Brown Bess Carbine, used a full length Pedersoli Bess and fired some other Pedersoli products. I am also well aware of many shooters who have used their other products. All Pedersoli guns seem to require some mechanical tinkering to get them to shoot their best, but once that is done, they are very good guns. Top notch guns don't require that extra mechanical tuning.

Gus

If you stay in Black Powder I bet the time will come when you reconsider that. :) :v

Larry

Gene L said:
English dueling pistols were VERY plain and had no sights.
I have to disagree. The three British flintlock duellers in my collection all have front and rear sights.

Earl, how much are you willing to put into the gun? Pedersoli has two distinct grades. I'd recommend the higher grade if you can afford it. That's the Mang, LePage, and Kuchenreuter. If you can find a Hege-Siber, snap it up.

Artificer said:
Earl Burlin said:

I understand, Earl, so my advice is not to order one until and unless you can at least handle one, to see if you can grip and aim it well. (Being able to at least dry fire it a few times would be much better as well, but very few gun sellers will allow you to do that.) Do you ever travel to one of the larger cities in Kansas or a gun show where you might be able to handle one?

Pedersoli make good guns, but I have to politely disagree that they are not "top notch" guns. Please understand I say this having owned and competed with a Pedersoli Brown Bess Carbine, used a full length Pedersoli Bess and fired some other Pedersoli products. I am also well aware of many shooters who have used their other products. All Pedersoli guns seem to require some mechanical tinkering to get them to shoot their best, but once that is done, they are very good guns. Top notch guns don't require that extra mechanical tuning.

Gus

Would you accept "top notch Italian reproduction"?

Back