• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Navy Arms Side Hammer 32 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fellows----I can not find any info on this little rifle, can you help me??? Also I would like to know the nipple thread size so I can get an extra nipple. It seems to like a #10 cap but will shoot with a #11 but not consistently.
Coots

Fellows --thank you for your help but still no results. The Country Boy by Navy supposedly was an inline 50 cal. I will remove the nipple and try to measure the threads and hope to find a replacement nipple that uses the #11 cap.
Thanks again
Coots aka BobS

IIRC that rifle had a long and silly name, something like "Mountainman Mule Ear Squirrel Rifle". The easiest way to identify the nipple thread is to take it out and measure it or take it to a hardware store and match it to a bolt size, probably 1/4x28 but it's best to be certain.

Thanks Coyote Joe:
I agree, I think safest thing is to remove nipple and check the threads which I will do. Thanks also for the possible name, I will check that too. I really like the little rifle so am very interested in all I can learn about it.
Coot aka BobS

If you are talking about the mule ear rifle. I have one of these rifles in .36 and the nipple is not a standard nipple as it is a combination drum and nipple. The treading on it is that of a drum. I had to turn down the diameter of the nipple to be able to use either no. 10 or 11 caps. I don't use that rifle at all because of the horrible stock. The comb is so high it is near impossible to use the sights.

My 1987 Dixie Gunworks catalog shows the rifle on page 23 under Navy Arms.

It is called a "MULE EAR COUNTRY BOY RIFLE" and it came in both .32 and .45 caliber.

The text reads:

"This is an authentic copy of one of the most effective percussion systems ever devised. The simple lock is trouble free and with the nipple directly on the barrel gives fast, positive ignition. It is totally American made, using a Pennsylvania black walnut stock, Navy Arms blued barrel, 26" long, in your choice of calibers, .32 and .45. The trigger guard and butt plate are brass. The forearm cap is Germain silver. This half stock gun features a steel underrib and blued steel thimbles. The sights are a blade-style front sight and a sporting rear sight featuring a long based semi-buckhorn with "U" notch and single step elevator. This simple and efficient gun is ideal for the young beginner or for ladies. Has 13" trigger pull and plain single trigger. We suggest a .310 roundball for the .32 caliber and .440 for the .45 caliber. Shipping weight, 7 lbs."

The finished gun was listed at $191.95 and the kit cost $153.50.

Unfortunately they did not give any information about the percussion cap. :(

Zonie:
Thank you for a very informative reply. I had not thought about my old Dixie catalogs. Actually mine are in SC as I have come to Florida to care for my Mom as versus her going into a home, which she did not want. Anyway, thank you.
I have removed the nipple which screws directly into the barrel and appears to be a 1/4 x 28. I have it with me here at the office today and will check it more closely. I like the little rifle but it is small for my 225 body.
It is "Gentlemen" like you folks on this forum that make our sport fun and interesting---always looking for an opportunity to help someone in need and to further our interests.
Coots aka BobS
P.S. After determining the nipple size I will post it so it can be included with your info.

Hello the Camp:
As a follow up on my mule ear rifle. As Coyote Joe expected, it is a 1/4 x 28 thread on the nipple and it screws directly into the barrel, there is no drum. Upon getting it out and under close examination, it appeared to have been slightly expanded. I turned it to the the external diameter of the nipple in my CVA Mountain Rifle and the #11 caps fit and fire as they should now.
A big Thank You to all that offered their help in my questions concerning this little rifle.
BobS aka Coots

I have 2 of those, a .36 with serial # 0001, and a .45 with 0002. 8)

Haven't had time to shoot them yet, they appear to be unfired, the nipples are "unboogered". They have that "dried out" look from sitting in someones' store room for 30 years.

I will post a field report when I shoot them. I LIKE those locks. Kind of a "thinking man's underhammer".

I bought one of those brand new back in 1981 or 1982-ish from Gander Mountain for $100 . Mine came in .36 cal and takes a .350” ball. It actually was designed to use a #12 cap. I don’t see those caps as being available anymore so put the nipple on mine gently in the chuck of my little drill press and turned it down to fit a #11 cap.
Can’t understand why they are not being made anymore as mine is a nice little rifle.

I will get it over to the range this week and see how it shoots. I “glued” a Weaver style base onto mine using some Permatex silicon sealer and mounted an old Weaver 2-1/2 power scope on it but just replaced that with a Vortex 2-7. I really haven’t had time to shoot it with a good scope so will be interesting to see the results. A lot of life events have interfered with the shooting of it but now, I have time. Funny how that goes!

I have one in 36 caliber. It is a decent little gun. I heartily recommend wearing safety glasses when firing as cap debris is directed toward the face.

1589295947864.png

Mine used #11 caps.

Interesting thread. What caught my eye was the post above by Zonie. My dad & I purchased several Navy Arms percussion rifles at a gun show in Syracuse, N.Y. back in 1987. Got my sister one of these mule ears but it is a .50 cal.? Perhaps through Dixie only the .36 & .45 calibers were available?

Interesting thread. What caught my eye was the post above by Zonie. My dad & I purchased several Navy Arms percussion rifles at a gun show in Syracuse, N.Y. back in 1987. Got my sister one of these mule ears but it is a .50 cal.? Perhaps through Dixie only the .36 & .45 calibers were available?
I had a .50 and .36 caliber versions. Great little rifles and I should never have let them go!

Latest posts

Back