• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms Pietta double Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty close to what I use. I am loading 70 grains on some of the bigger shot and using a little more than 1 1/8 oz of shot. I load the 6's and 7's over 60 grs. I just got a shot dispenser that will measure 1 and1/4 oz shot and I'm going to try to up my loadings. I've read where others are doing that with good patterns. A lot depends on what the gun likes though.

Good morning Guys,
I just bought the same shotgun, and am waiting delivery.
Years ago, I had a Navy Arms double 12 ( Pietta ) loved it, but foolishly traded it away, looknig for greater ventures. It didn't happen.
Now in my senior years, I look forward to some serious shotgun shooting, and the Pietta double 12 will fill the bill.
I have large coveys of woodcock in the field next to the house, an turkeys by the dozen everywhere. Sadly grouse are like virgins, we have heard of them, but actually have never seen one.
By all means I do suggest getting that scattergun. There is so much you can do with it. From #8 shot for doves & squirrels, to #2 &4 for turkey, #6 & 7 1/2 for grouse and pheasant, to round ball ( pumpkin balls ) for deer.
With practice you can hit a melon at sixty yards easy.
These past years I have been using a fine old British double 12 with great joy, but have great concerns to causing damage with a valuable gun out in the field.
The Pietta will do just fine,
Brianc if you spend the time, you won't regret your purchase. It is an entirely different journey than with a muzzle loading rifle.
Do get a gods shooting bag for your shotgun, you will need it, and it is differently outfitted than a rifle bag. October Country has some good ones.
Fred
In follow up to my previous post, I just got my new toy. It is a fine Pietta double 12
The locks are set in perfectly, like a fine British gun. The locks are butter smooth and positive locking. Very impressed.
The stock is fine grained walnut, with checkering on the wrist. The butt plate is color case hardened steel.
The locks, trigger guard, hammers, and tang are laser engraved. Even the hammer screws, and tang screws are engraved.
The barrels are dark browned.
I have been shooting a beautiful W. Bond of Thetford England for years, and treasure it, but fear of damaging it, so will enjoy this great Pietta as well.
I look forward to shooting the Pietta and will tell you more about it as I get used to it.
Have a great day!
Fred

I like this thread. I’ve learned things about my Navy Arms/Pietta 12 ga. Shotgun that I didn’t know.

I purchased it in the mid-90s from a surplus center, used for $149. Judging from the uneven browning on the barrel, it was either a kit or someone re-did it.

It’s a Turkey and Trap model. I believe the chokes are: right barrel = Modified; left barrel = Full.

The left lock wasn’t working so I had a Gunsmith friend of mine fix it. My lock plates have razor sharp edges so manually cocking the hammer outside of the gun can be scary.

I’ve never hunted with it. I did use it to qualify when I took the NRA Muzzleloader Instructor course. I’ve never had a problem with the fit or balance. Not much different than my over and unders; maybe lighter. I used 80 grains of 2F Goex with an equal amount of #7.5 shot. That’s the only size I have right now. I did ok busting clays. I think we had to hit 8 out of 10. I need to take it to the range and see how it patterns.

Luckily, I have one of the nation’s largest Muzzle Loading shops near me so finding wads aren’t a problem.

I’d like to have a Flintlock Double. There’s not many of those around although I read where someone had theirs converted. It might have been here. I’d keep this one Percussion for Muzzle Loader classes.

This is the only photo I have with me. I’m pretty sure this is a staged pose for the camera. The gun’s at home and I’m not. I'll post more pics when I return.

Attachments

• 20190811_124545_HDR.jpg
    20190811_124545_HDR.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 115
Hi Spence
The gun in the picture you posted is a Pedersoli I believe. World of difference in quality. The Pedersoli has machined steel lock internals and the Pietta has pot metal bridles that will more than likely break . Good news is the Pedersoli bridles are the same dimensionally and fit. I know, I went thru it. Cost close to $100.00 for parts from VTI.

This is not to start a bashing of Pietta or a war between Pedersoli and Pietta. just fact. Other than that the Pietta is ok and will get the job done . Since I have both I just think the Pedersoli is a better gun. Too bad they want a small fortune for their stuff these days.

Thanks! Good to know that the bridles interchange.

My navy by Pietta is just a joy to shoot and handle. Bought it from GB while living in Alaska. Such a great shotgun. Mine is a spittin image as yours Brian. Might be a plain jane but it sure handles well.

Mine has cylinder bore on both barrels. I love shooting punkin balls patched in my old hickory work shirt material and lubed with Bee wax Vasoline mix. Works great. Think my load was 60 or 70 grains 2F powder. I have long arms so I added a rubber recoil pad that will be replaced with a leather laceup pad for that additional 1 inch increased LOP. Really helps me in getting a great sight picture.

Cleaning is a snap. All smoothies clean really easy as long as you do not use plastic shotcups. Do not know anything about cleaning plastic outta the bore. I also remove the nipples and submerge the breech's in water for the cleaning just like I do with my Hawken style rifles. I am also very careful to ensure they are pure clean and then oil with either Ballistol or Rem oil. Never have any rust issues but then I use cold or lukewarm water for my cleaning.also a drop or two of Dawn to make cleaning faster and easier ... rinsing with clear water followed with plenty of oil.

These darn smoothies are very addictive. Think I now have4 of the darn things. Have an old relic vintage double percussion that I will get out one day to restore into a working shooter but so far ... no time.

Good luck with just a dandy workhorse shooter. I think you got a nice deal and many hours of enjoyment to come. Congrats.

Thank you all for being generous with your time and experiences helping a newbie! This Forrum has helped me a great deal with getting back into the hobby again

Hi Spence
The gun in the picture you posted is a Pedersoli I believe. World of difference in quality. The Pedersoli has machined steel lock internals and the Pietta has pot metal bridles that will more than likely break . Good news is the Pedersoli bridles are the same dimensionally and fit. I know, I went thru it. Cost close to $100.00 for parts from VTI.

This is not to start a bashing of Pietta or a war between Pedersoli and Pietta. just fact. Other than that the Pietta is ok and will get the job done . Since I have both I just think the Pedersoli is a better gun. Too bad they want a small fortune for their stuff these days.
Glad I ran across this post. I bought a Pietta double about 20 years ago off a friend on the old TMMH forum. The left bridle was broken but I made a new one using a hacksaw, files, and a drill press and a piece of scrap steel . I've been meaning to make one for the right lock just in case but never get around to it. I guess I'll just order one from VTI now that I know the Pedersoli will fit. Here's a pic of the two bridles.

Attachments

• 20210607_185228.jpg
    20210607_185228.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 112
Glad I ran across this post. I bought a Pietta double about 20 years ago off a friend on the old TMMH forum. The left bridle was broken but I made a new one using a hacksaw, files, and a drill press and a piece of scrap steel . I've been meaning to make one for the right lock just in case but never get around to it. I guess I'll just order one from VTI now that I know the Pedersoli will fit. Here's a pic of the two bridles.

What part is the Bridle??

What part is the Bridle??
The tumbler in a lock is the part that is pushed on by the mainspring. The hammer or cock is attached to it. It is supported by the lockplate and in very old locks and some cheap ones, that's all that's taking the load of the heavy mainspring. This can cause a lot of wear on it.

If a bridge or some sort of support is added to hold the unsupported end it is called a bridle.
Frizzens also come with no outer end support and others have a bridle attacked to the pan to increase the strength.

The tumbler in a lock is the part that is pushed on by the mainspring. The hammer or cock is attached to it. It is supported by the lockplate and in very old locks and some cheap ones, that's all that's taking the load of the heavy mainspring. This can cause a lot of wear on it.

If a bridge or some sort of support is added to hold the unsupported end it is called a bridle.
Frizzens also come with no outer end support and others have a bridle attacked to the pan to increase the strength.

Zonie is that a Jaeger at the bottom there?

Ahhr shucks zonie, I thought my description was better 😭

Zonie is that a Jaeger at the bottom there?
It's off topic but, no, it isn't a Jeager. It is a Pecatonica River "Transitional" rifle, so named because it is longer than a Jeager but much stockier than the American long rifles of the day. This one is a .54 caliber swamped barrel gun and it shoots great.

cangun10.jpg
cangun11.jpg
cangun12.jpg
cangun13.jpg

I have a Pietta Navy Arms double. Had it converted to flint, and both barrels jug choked (mod and improved). Fun gun to shoot. Got the gun for I think $250 about 20 years ago, then got it converted.

View attachment 79179
How did you go about converting the Pietta to a flintlock? I just acquired one and would be interested to know. Did you do the work yourself? Who has the parts? Thanks...Ed.

Sorry. I just finished reading the entire thread and got my answer.

Is it necessary to take the locks out of the gun for cleaning? Is it just the one screw behind the hammer that holds both locks? Are there pics online of a disassembly of the Pietta sxs? Thanks...Ed.

I had to look up the difference between a woodcock and a snipe and here is what I found:
Woodcocks are stockier, with rounded wings in flight. The Minnesota DNR says woodcock are 10 to 12 inches long, weighing 10 to 12 ounces, while snipe are slightly smaller, measuring 10 to 11 inches including the 2-inch beak and weighing 6 to 8 ounces. Woodcock favor forests, while snipe are more likely to be encountered in wet meadows.
I hunted woodcock in NJ with my dad and brother and every time one would flush it scared the poop out of me. The wooded area where we hunted them was so dense that it was hard to get a good shot off and the birds would fly around the trees so fast that most of the shot pattern would bark the tree.

Here in VA we have a bird very much like the Woodcock. It's called a mileamo with a long bill.

Remembered the hard way about the towel or anything else to prevent burning hands lol
I've been flushing the barrels with hot water using hot water from the kitchen sink sprayer (through a funnel). It won't scald my hands, and is still hot enough to dry right up. I finish with ballistoil. It essentially the same process that Britsmoothy uses.

(The last time I got myself with the tea kettle, I had this realization that I'd been divorced for over a year, and I could use the kitchen sink however I damned well pleased.)

Back