• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Navy Arms Pietta double Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
who did the great conversion, and $? it is a beauty.
Unfortunately the guy that did the conversion is no longer available. He was in a serious accident several years ago, and was not able to continue. All totaled, I have about $850 into the gun, including purchase, conversion work, locks, and jug choking. A friend was looking at it one day and said "I don't mean to offend you, but that stock offends me. Mind if I take it home and refinish the stock?" 🤣🤣 I immediately said "Please do!!, it offends me also, but I don't know how to refinish it!!!" 🤣

Unfortunately the guy that did the conversion is no longer available. He was in a serious accident several years ago, and was not able to continue. All totaled, I have about $850 into the gun, including purchase, conversion work, locks, and jug choking. A friend was looking at it one day and said "I don't mean to offend you, but that stock offends me. Mind if I take it home and refinish the stock?" 🤣🤣 I immediately said "Please do!!, it offends me also, but I don't know how to refinish it!!!" 🤣
You gotta love friends that can do these kinds of favors!!

AF9CC1D7-5D8B-40E2-B6EF-00DBDB212E86.jpegF7D5BB94-9A78-4B32-9214-7DD3D89703A2.jpeg

Got my Navy Arms(Pedersoli) a few months ago.
once you get the loading down, you’ll never want to use anything else.
Best part about a smoothbore, I can shoot both shot and .690 round ball.

Just saw the checkering is all and never gave it much thought. My Pietta is pretty plain Jane and my Pedersoli is a lot snazzier with checkering. My Pietta stock looks like they took a 2X6 and sanded it a bit. It would be easy to post the wrong picture. I have pictures of a lot of guns on my computer. Didn’t intend to mean like you don’t know what you’re talking about.

That's the difference between the kit and factory assembled versions. Same with the Pedersoli kits today, the kit stocks don't come checkered have to DIY if you want it.

There’s a plastic buttplate that really annoys me! Any suggestions on a metal replacement? I have a sheet of brass that I might try?

A lot of folks don't use hot water, but I do and I've found that I can still find some black in the water after I've cleaned it conventionally. by brushing and swabbing. I don't like to brush a barrel too much. So I just pour in the hot water and pump it through the barrel I think the addition of Ballistol or a similar soluble oil might be a good idea and I plan to try that myself. Ballistol is little expensive, but a lot of folks swear by it. You could use Moose milk to clean with. That's another option to consider. Moose milk is a mixture of water, Ballistol and Murphy's soap or some similar detergent. The reason I am such an advocate of hot water is that I was taught to do that over 40 yrs ago when I shot trap with mine and have used it ever since with good success. It doesn't cost as much as the mixtures and it's easily available.

A lot of folks don't use hot water, but I do and I've found that I can still find some black in the water after I've cleaned it conventionally. by brushing and swabbing. I don't like to brush a barrel too much. So I just pour in the hot water and pump it through the barrel I think the addition of Ballistol or a similar soluble oil might be a good idea and I plan to try that myself. Ballistol is little expensive, but a lot of folks swear by it. You could use Moose milk to clean with. That's another option to consider. Moose milk is a mixture of water, Ballistol and Murphy's soap or some similar detergent. The reason I am such an advocate of hot water is that I was taught to do that over 40 yrs ago when I shot trap with mine and have used it ever since with good success. It doesn't cost as much as the mixtures and it's easily available.

I always use HOT water and a little Dawn dish soap. Then more screaming hot water then dry then oil . When I’m leaving the range I just spray with water ballistol mix then do serious cleaning. I have purchased most of my front stuffers used and when I clean them I have yet to find one that was previously cleaned to my standards yet there wasn’t any pitting either (except on old originals) I honestly think it’s more important to clear the corrosive nature of the BP than to have all the black out . Ymmv and I’m not an expert. I always try and clean perfectly but I have seen many who didn’t and were fine again I try to get everything out myself

There’s a plastic buttplate that really annoys me! Any suggestions on a metal replacement? I have a sheet of brass that I might try?
One of mine has a regular rubber recoil pad and the other has a steel plate. A brass butt plate would look pretty nice, You might be able to buy a butt plate to fit it at friendship if you go there. The Spring shoot is coming up soon. Starts June 12. One for a Pedersoli should fit. As I understand it, Pedersoli made the guns for Navy Arms.

I’m actually less than an hour from Friendship! Definitely wanna go and have a good time

I have only missed a couple years since I was a teenager myself absolutely love friendship my grandpa was a builder of Kentucky Rifles and we made a tradition of it

My first BP shotgun was this Pedersoli which I bought through Navy Arms. That would have been about 1975. Later they came with a different gun, this one made by Pietta, the one I posted above. This second gun they called the Magnum, so the first one, which was then still available through them, was called the Classic.

The Pedersoli was not marked as a Navy Arms gun, but of course the Pietta was. The Pedersoli had browned barrels, the Pietta blued.
ClassicA.jpg

ClassicD.jpg

ClassicG.jpg

ClassicR.jpg

The Pedersoli is a light and handy gun, but has a bit less drop at heel and comb than the Pietta and doesn't fit me well, too straight. It has seen very little use.

Spence

My first BP shotgun was this Pedersoli which I bought through Navy Arms. That would have been about 1975. Later they came with a different gun, this one made by Pietta, the one I posted above. This second gun they called the Magnum, so the first one, which was then still available through them, was called the Classic.

The Pedersoli was not marked as a Navy Arms gun, but of course the Pietta was. The Pedersoli had browned barrels, the Pietta blued.
View attachment 79374
View attachment 79375
View attachment 79376
View attachment 79377

The Pedersoli is a light and handy gun, but has a bit less drop at heel and comb than the Pietta and doesn't fit me well, too straight. It has seen very little use.

Spence
Very similar to my early Pedersoli Spence.
Mine has had some work done to its chokes. It must of been opened up I think.
Mine fits me well however.
IMG_20181228_094940392.jpg

Back