• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms Pietta double Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use to use hot water now I use warm or just cold tap water with a drop or two of a dish soap. I may take a wee bit longer but does a fine job - I'm in no hurry when I clean my guns. It gives me time to look them over and enjoy them before they are put away until next time I use them.

I just acquired one of those shotguns about three weeks ago form an old friend. He bought it new in 78. It's in super fine condition. Have not shot it since 78. Got it loaded with sixes in the right barrel and buckshot in the left. Thought I'd get lucky on a deer, but doesn't look like that will pan out. Still have small game season all the way thru Feb. Deer season ends tomorrow.

Ordered a .690 round ball mold and already had a full bag of shot which I got off of the dump over 25 years ago. :) I knew it would come in handy one day. Just darn lucky I knew where it was stashed. :)

Did a lot of searching and reading on this forum which has helped me out greatly! I really appreciate this wonderful source of information.

I've got one in 12 ga that I bought new in late '83 and it's been my main muzzleloader & all around shotgun since. It's been semi-retired for about 10 years now, but I'm getting my doings for it back together to start using it again. When I bought it, it was advertised as being capable of handling light 8 ga loads, but the most I ever tried was a 10 ga magnum load of 2oz of shot.

My normal load in it has been 1 3/8oz of shot, 90gr of either FFg or Pyrodex RS using an old Alcan plastic shot cup and a couple of card wads I made using a 3/4" hole punch and cereal boxes. I'd load the powder, then a dry card, a greased card, the shot cup and then another dry card on top. That load has worked well for me on small game and quail.

I've tried patched .69 round balls with my usual 90gr powder in it but never did see a deer when I had that load in it.

I used to use short pieces of PVC pipe & pipe caps that the wads were a good fit in to hold powder, wads, then shot in for quick reloads in the field. Those seem to have disappeared along with the rest of my shotgun doings somewhere in the last 10 years.

W

Still haven’t messed with it but I did pick up an original Belgian 16 double that in restored decent shape. I’m getting a rack of front stuffers built up. The 16 was loaded when I found it. I actually thought about the fact it might be when I saw how far the ramrod stuck out from the muzzle. The deal was too good to pass up

Attachments

• B3812188-26F0-40A0-BEB5-B2E4EF50E4FF.jpeg
    B3812188-26F0-40A0-BEB5-B2E4EF50E4FF.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 8CBC0427-6E09-4435-B6CD-68B006DF6C7B.jpeg
    8CBC0427-6E09-4435-B6CD-68B006DF6C7B.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 87DC6353-54A3-408F-BEDC-99AA08F2A6ED.jpeg
    87DC6353-54A3-408F-BEDC-99AA08F2A6ED.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 35
Still haven’t messed with it but I did pick up an original Belgian 16 double that in restored decent shape. I’m getting a rack of front stuffers built up. The 16 was loaded when I found it. I actually thought about the fact it might be when I saw how far the ramrod stuck out from the muzzle. The deal was too good to pass up

Love me a 16 gauge shotgun.

Been shooting my new to me navy arms/pietta 12 gauge SxS. It was manufactured in 1989. Shooting a 15 station sporting clay course in Lakeland Fl. What fun! My only real problem is not always being able to see if the clay broke ( depending on the wind direction, and the angle of the flying clay) due the large cloud of Smoke. Ha ha.

Been shooting my new to me navy arms/pietta 12 gauge SxS. It was manufactured in 1989. Shooting a 15 station sporting clay course in Lakeland Fl. What fun! My only real problem is not always being able to see if the clay broke ( depending on the wind direction, and the angle of the flying clay) due the large cloud of Smoke. Ha ha.

To conserve on time and supplies, I shoot one barrel at target A and the other at target B. Then I move on to the next station. Takes me a leisurely 3 1/2 hours to walk and shoot the 15 station course, firing at 30 clays. so a session for me uses up 2 pounds of shot and 30 of each card and wad, plus about 1/3 of a can of powder.

To conserve on time and supplies, I shoot one barrel at target A and the other at target B. Then I move on to the next station. Takes me a leisurely 3 1/2 hours to walk and shoot the 15 station course, firing at 30 clays. so a session for me uses up 2 pounds of shot and 30 of each card and wad, plus about 1/3 of a can of powder.

Maybe next time I’ll try and shoot at a true pair at each station. I’ve tried 5 stand, and of found out that the pace of 5 stand is not conducive to muzzzleloading. Luckily, the folks I was shooting 5 stand with were kind and patient.

Maybe next time I’ll try and shoot at a true pair at each station. I’ve tried 5 stand, and of found out that the pace of 5 stand is not conducive to muzzzleloading. Luckily, the folks I was shooting 5 stand with were kind and patient.

found out that I can load and prime both barrels from my bag in about 3 1/2 minutes.

Two topics with this topic caught my attention.
1) A woodcock is a timberdoodle. A snipe is an entirely different bird and is most commonly nicknamed a bog-bat. I guess that’s where they live and how they fly reference. Seasons and bag limits are also quite different.

2) ML shotgun cleaning. I use windex and murphys with a splash of 91% alcohol. A few passes with that concoction on a patch. Then dry patch. I take the nipples out each time and alternate between 2 sets. I spray electronic contact cleaner through the breach holes. Also clean the nipples with it. End with one pass of WD-40 liquid ( not the aerosol) or some other liquid lube. Store with barrels down. After a few days I spray electric contact cleaner through the nipples and usually get a little more soot out. Spray through nipples again just prior to use. I’ve done take the barrels off the stock very often. I’m also using mine 3-4 days per week from Sept-March. Water is popular and seems to work, but you don’t have to use water. I don’t have any hot water in the field with me or surplus water I can spare when overnighted somewhere.

Back