• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Navy Arms Pietta double Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianc

40 Cal
Reaction score
I’m looking at a local shop that has a Navy Arms Pietta double barrel percussion shotgun . I have been wanting double barrel muzzle loader for a while but can’t really find anything on them ,broker has one similar for $500.00 which is the price on this example. I just have no experience with them at all, to me it seems high.So what are your experience with these?

I’m looking at a local shop that has a Navy Arms Pietta double barrel percussion shotgun . I have been wanting double barrel muzzle loader for a while but can’t really find anything on them ,broker has one similar for $500.00 which is the price on this example. I just have no experience with them at all, to me it seems high.So what are your experience with these?
Any side by side at that price, considering the bore, bluing, stock, overall tightness of the barrels to the stock, determining there are no bulged barrels, plus determining if you can hold it to your cheek and have a proper sight picture is worth the money.
My Italian shotgun 15 years ago cost 500 and it was a kit gun. I admit that I am not an expert on present shotgun values, but it does seem about right.

I've had a gun like that since 1982-83 and have always been very pleased with it. The drop and trigger pull are just what I need. Shouldered quickly it lines up right on the bead for me. I've had very good results hunting bumped rabbits and passing doves with it.

MagnumA.jpg

I have no idea about a reasonable value for the gun in today's world.

Spence

Someone has added sling swivels that I don’t like on it (they appear to be Marlin swivels) I think the screw holes can be plugged though

I've had a gun like that since 1982-83 and have always been very pleased with it. The drop and trigger pull are just what I need. Shouldered quickly it lines up right on the bead for me. I've had very good results hunting bumped rabbits and passing doves with it.

View attachment 78912
I have no idea about a reasonable value for the gun in today's world.

Spence
Is your shotgun equipped with a rear bead? Someone added a screw where the rear bead should be if equipped . I’m just curious I’m certain I can make something from brass if necessary but it looks shoddy

I’m actually excited to possibly acquire this if nothing else it’ll look nice on the wall

The sling swivels on the shotgun are original equipment. I have two and they both have sling swivels. If the gun is in good condition, then the price is a bargain. It would be a shame to consign it to the wall. Those guns handle well and pattern nicely. They are a joy to hunt with.

The sling swivels on the shotgun are original equipment. I have two and they both have sling swivels. If the gun is in good condition, then the price is a bargain. It would be a shame to consign it to the wall. Those guns handle well and pattern nicely. They are a joy to hunt with.
Thank you are you familiar with any issues with the locks? I’m asking because you all actually own one not just someone writing to pass the time

No longer have them, but I've owned two of them. Both 12 gauge, one cylinder bore barrels, one with choke tubes. Both handled and shot well. Only down side was was my dogs impatience while I reloaded after shooting a partridge. If you haven't bought it yet, go get it before someone else does.

The locks on mine have been completely trouble free. I've never had any difficulty with mine and frankly, I don't really expect to. They seem to be made pretty well. I like that about Sealgaire's dogs being impatient while reloading. I can sure relate to that. My dogs when I had them were the same.
Take his advice and go get that shotgun. It won't be around long if someone else finds it.

Were these available as a kit? It doesn’t have cva written anywhere Pietta and navy arms is it but the swivels on it don’t look right as I said in a previous post they almost look like Marlin the screws aren’t right either for the swivels they’re Phillips head and look too small . The buttplate is plastic, and seems rather cheesy but I do have a sheet of brass I can probably make a nice looking one with. Overall in decent shape but as I have a good relationship with the owner of this shop I can probably do better on price

Bottom line on a double shotgun is if the barrels are good and the action is good then it's well worth $500. It would likely be a good shooter and they are awfully hard to find in today's market. When you do find them, they command a much higher price. I'm glad you found this gun and have a good relationship with the seller. I hope you do strike a better deal. Nothing wrong with that. Hope you enjoy some good shotgun shooting soon Brianc.

I purchased my Navy Arms Pietta 12 gauge in 1986 at $349.xx. There were no swivels on the gun and if this one has swivels then the owner put them there. Mine is not choked and it is light and swings fast -- I still have it and it works just fine but I don't shoot it as much as I use to. I have heard that some people have had broken bridles on the locks which they have said were made of soft cheap steel but I have not had that issue. I also heard that you can buy replacement bridles from either VTI or Numrich Gun Parts .

Back