• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms Pedersoli 12 gauge double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an older Pedersoli 12 guage. Cylinder bore on the right barrel and choked on the left ( modified I believe). I use 12 guage wads and cards with no problem. A little tight getting them in the left bore but not difficult. This one handles easily. I had very little shotgun experience prior to shooting this and found it fairly easy to shoot. My first outing scored 8 out of 10 hits on clays.

Went to Dixon’s Muzzleloading this morning and came home with a used Navy Arms Pedersoli 12 gauge double barrel. It’s in really nice shape. My cruddy indoor pics don’t do it justice. This thing is light! They had a new one as well and I noticed the weight difference and assumed the thicker barrels in the new one contributed to the difference. I bought 14 gauge cards, nitro wads and fiber wads and can’t wait to try it out. I love this thing. Where can I find the date code? Assume under the barrels?

I've got one of the Navy Arms Pietta 12ga doubles that I bought new in '83. I just brought it back out of retirement in the past couple of weeks and we're getting reacquainted. During the last century it was my main gun that I used on almost everything and also served as the gun I'd make sure to be cleaning when my daughters would bring their boyfriends over.

I've got one of the Navy Arms Pietta 12ga doubles that I bought new in '83. I just brought it back out of retirement in the past couple of weeks and we're getting reacquainted. During the last century it was my main gun that I used on almost everything and also served as the gun I'd make sure to be cleaning when my daughters would bring their boyfriends over.

I just had the boyfriend/shotgun conversation yesterday in the Camelback Ski Resort parking lot in PA with my 13 year old daughters male friends fathers! 13 years and all great kids but we had a good laugh over a shot of Jamison. I showed pics of this new shotgun. 🤣

AE965380-9E2D-4259-B50F-7A8B21E6ECD0.jpeg

AD date code so 1978 and 18.3 mm for both barrels so .72 cal. I assume that’s improved cylinder bore? Did I mention I love this thing?

Last edited:
I have an early 1974 Pendersolli 12 ga sxs I won at auction. I emailed Pendersolli from their website , gave them the serial number and they asked for photos of the barrels underside.
They were very nice and gave me the history, choke information as well as some recommended loads. Very nice and helpful people. Mine has both barrels as cylinder bore. Patterned nicely with 60 grains 777 fig and 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 shot. Filled a 24" circle at 30 yes with no more than 1 1/2 " between pellets .

Thanks for the clarification. I’ll go back to my initial albeit somewhat inaccurate dial caliper measurement of .714.

Contact Pendersolli regarding choke. Mine is marked 18.3 they stated its cylinder bore. Their barrels are marked for choke.

The 18.3 is the "nominal bore diameter" measured 9 inches forward of the breach. So, .720 there. The muzzle must be .720 or less. Roughly .010 for each choke designation, ie: .710 IC, .700 Mod.....something like that

I have the Navy Arms 12 gauge with the cyl/cyl bores.. I found the vegetable wads in 12 gauge were almost too tight and were very difficult to get seated, even when lubed.. I changed to the 14 gauge size and they are a much better fit and go down easier and don't move when the gun is fired.. I have also made thick felt wads to run down on top of the over powder card. Much easier loading. One thing I always do is put a deep nick in the edge of the over powder and over shot cards to help let the air out when you push them down. Without the deep nick in the edge, they almost don't want to seat.
Ohio Rusty.

TOTW will only sell you what 'they' think is right. They are clueless and only will sell you what they have in their inventory. What they don't tell you is the 12 gauge vegetable fiber wads will swell up when you lube them and they crumble when you try to force them into the end of the barrel. They swell up and become to big becoming impossible to start -- which is probably the reason for broken ramrods. That is why I use the 14 gauge vegetable wads. A tight fit and easy to ram down onto the powder. If you want to try different wads for your shotgun, PM me with an address and I'll send you some 12 gauge vegetable fiber wads, some 14 gauge vegetable fiber wads and some thick felt wads. The vegetable wads don't work well at all with any kind of choke as they don't compress well to fit in the choke. I like the thick felt wads best as they lube well, the wad cleans the barrel on the way down and loads easily.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Good question. That’s what they recommended. I’m hoping it’s correct. Perhaps I messed up and should have bought 14 gauge wads and 12 gauge cards? Wouldn’t be my first screw up. 😀
I got a sweet little Pedersoli uplander 20 gauge made back in the 70’s…they just seem to be a bit off on those older guns.

Congratulations on your new purchase. That is awesome. You will love using it…

Went to Dixon’s Muzzleloading this morning and came home with a used Navy Arms Pedersoli 12 gauge double barrel. It’s in really nice shape. My cruddy indoor pics don’t do it justice. This thing is light! They had a new one as well and I noticed the weight difference and assumed the thicker barrels in the new one contributed to the difference. I bought 14 gauge cards, nitro wads and fiber wads and can’t wait to try it out. I love this thing. Where can I find the date code? Assume under the barrels?
find the two letter code in the small box . then look up italian date codes . look up under 2358 serialization .

Back