• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms Pedersoli 12 gauge double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to Dixon’s Muzzleloading this morning and came home with a used Navy Arms Pedersoli 12 gauge double barrel. It’s in really nice shape. My cruddy indoor pics don’t do it justice. This thing is light! They had a new one as well and I noticed the weight difference and assumed the thicker barrels in the new one contributed to the difference. I bought 14 gauge cards, nitro wads and fiber wads and can’t wait to try it out. I love this thing. Where can I find the date code? Assume under the barrels?

Attachments

• 9F646FFF-FC74-4C28-8482-A896CD6CBE89.jpeg
    9F646FFF-FC74-4C28-8482-A896CD6CBE89.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 0C8701EF-773F-478E-8505-65B3065F5FA8.jpeg
    0C8701EF-773F-478E-8505-65B3065F5FA8.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 6ED493ED-E6E0-497C-99F3-6516171FA0FC.jpeg
    6ED493ED-E6E0-497C-99F3-6516171FA0FC.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 6EE3B43F-CD6E-4AF2-849C-12C5E5CCE7F4.jpeg
    6EE3B43F-CD6E-4AF2-849C-12C5E5CCE7F4.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 429FDD3B-8B20-4DDE-A16F-DDD54F30638D.jpeg
    429FDD3B-8B20-4DDE-A16F-DDD54F30638D.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 6B1EB5BA-3474-4F67-BEEF-4C4822F30EA2.jpeg
    6B1EB5BA-3474-4F67-BEEF-4C4822F30EA2.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 69
Good question. That’s what they recommended. I’m hoping it’s correct. Perhaps I messed up and should have bought 14 gauge wads and 12 gauge cards? Wouldn’t be my first screw up. 😀

Congratulations! Those are lovely handling guns, and a delight to carry, just under 6 pounds unloaded. I use 13 gauge wads in mine, and fairly light loads (3/4 to 1 1/16 ounce--very comfortable to shoot, and effective). As I remember, the bores are 710R and 709L. The date code will be on the underside of one barrel (left I think) two letters, such as AC, in a rectangle. Enjoy!

I use 13 -gauge fibre wads but 12- gauge over- powder and over- shot cards. My older Navy Arms lightweight model patterns best with a square load from the 1 1/8- ounce scoop. Mine has a bore that measures right between 12 and 13 gauge and chokes that equate to an improved cylinder and light modified.

There is another similar thread going on now also. The Ped '12 ga.' sxs I had was actually a 14 ga. with choked bores. Impossible to load properly as 14 ga. wads would not pass through the chokes. Smaller wads did not provide a seal and allowed gas to pass and lousy ball groups and shot patterns. One of the happiest days of my life was when I sold that poor excuse for a shotgun.

Rough measure of bores shows .714 with my Mitutoyo dial calipers. I know it’s not the best way to measure a bore. A dime fits in with room to spare. This is for mostly casual clay birds and range fun. Might hunt with it some day. No round ball, just shot.

Last edited:
I mean wads used in the manufacturing of shotgun cartridges for breech loaders be it plastic or fibre, paper or other.
Completely unnecessary in a muzzleloader and a pain in the rear if a muzzloader has constrictive chokes.
Just use a few over shot cards that curl past a choke easy. Stamp them your self to.
Some on here have condemned a gun as useless because they can't get a standard sized wad for reloading standard cartridge hulls past a choke in a tight bored shot gun!

If they had just thought outside their tiny box they could of found a simple solution 🤦‍♂️

I like to use a couple OP cards, shot or ball, two OS cards to hold it in, half a wad for lube and call it good.
Works great for both shot and ball (ball in open-choked barrel). Nuts to patching. It's a 50 yard gun.
20 gauge SxS with open and modified choked barrels.

wm

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I just weighed it roughly with me on a bathroom scale. 5.75 pounds max. I’ll be using light loads for sure in this beauty.
I bought a Pedersoli 12 ga double from another member. I could have cried when I opened the package and picked it up. A hair over 7 pounds. Not an upland gun for me for sure. My next heaviest double unmentionable is 6 pounds and my favorites are more like 5.5 pounds. An extra 16 to 24 ounces doesn't sound like much-at the range. But it will make a big difference if you are following dogs all day, especially in rolling terrain.

PS: Don't restrict yourself to light loads because of gun weight. With proper gun mount shotgun recoil is a push, not a jolt.

The nominal bore diameter might be stamped on it in mm, something like 18.5 which would be .729-inch. The barrels may be the same exact or slightly different. If you can determine this, you can also determine the real chokes. Then you should be able to figure out what sized wads to use. 14-gauge would be about .693-inch or 17.6. Use the right size cards for the bore diameter. You can get them past the choke by turning them sideways, using a short starter, making a slight fold.... lots of ways to do it. Good luck with it!

I bought a William Moore original 12ga SxS a few months It's
a Fantastic gun, is very light and nimble.
After I got it all cleaned up I took it to the range for testing, fired shot, buckshot, and round ball out of it with no ill effect.
Posted up the results and was promptly chastised by feltwad
saying that it's a sporting shotgun and not meant for round ball... 🤣

I had a turkey/trap model and sold it. I should have kept it! Never had a problem loading and used wonder wads. Enjoy your new s/s.

Back