• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms Morse Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkpowder50

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i recently acquired a Navy Arms Morse rifle, .58 caliber,26" 1:56 twist barrel with impressive outside diameter compared to my .50 SxS Pedersoli Kodiak. It takes .574 minies,which load easily but i assume expand on the way out. My question is this: does anyone know the threads of the nippple so i can buy a musket cap or 209 nipple and shoot cleaner powders? This rifle is right on the money with 110-120 grains pyrodex and a 460 grain minie, but id rather use BH209 or triple7.

Anybody know the nipple thread? Is it 1/4x28?

Thank you for looking.

Maybe you could take the nipple to a good hardware store for them to determine the thread? I didn't know they made 209 nipples. There used to be special converters to allow the use of primers but those appeared cumbersome if shooting a lot. 209's burn hot and I would not want any gasses escaping near my face. Are you having ignition problems with 777?

Do you know anyone who is an active or retired machinist? How about someone who works as an Industrial Arts teacher in a High School or Community College? How about a small machine shop?

Any of these people should have both inch pattern and metric thread gauges and can identify the thread of the nipple for you.

Gus

RedFeather said:
Maybe you could take the nipple to a good hardware store for them to determine the thread? I didn't know they made 209 nipples. There used to be special converters to allow the use of primers but those appeared cumbersome if shooting a lot. 209's burn hot and I would not want any gasses escaping near my face. Are you having ignition problems with 777?

wow, i didnt know those places could help me. Yes they make a 209 nipple that has a screw off top with its own firing pin that you screw on, so no hot gasses escape. Cabelas sells them in 1/4x28 thread only, by pedersoli. Yes im having a hard time getting triple7 and 209 to ignite thats why i want musket cap nipples. triple 7 says its for use with 209 primers but sometimes i can get it to go with num.11 caps. some states wont allow the 209s at all and pyrodex wont set off bh209 for me so im looking for musket nipples.im just going to take my gun to the local shop and see if their musket cap nipple fits.thanks for the info

Artificer said:
Do you know anyone who is an active or retired machinist? How about someone who works as an Industrial Arts teacher in a High School or Community College? How about a small machine shop?

Any of these people should have both inch pattern and metric thread gauges and can identify the thread of the nipple for you.

Gus

thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Back