• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms Double Full Chokes.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky you did not buy it. I had one and, if a gun can be hated, it was very much hated by me. They are choked and it is impossible to get a proper size wad past the choke for loading. Undersize wads allow blow-by give lousy patterns.

I recently purchased a Navy Arms 12 gauge double and both barrels measured.672” at the muzzle. I’m guessing it is a Turkey and Trap barrel but the chokes aren’t marked. The underside is marked 12 ga. and 18.3. Running a mop or brush down the barrels starts tight and loosens after the first couple of inches.

I have questions. Besides Rifleman 1776 do any of you have experience with this gun and effective loads or loading techniques. I need to get it out and play with but have been busy with other stuff. The .672 seems real tight for a 12 old 870 with a modified choke measured little over .700 when I checked it. I don’t remember the number exactly.

Let me know what you think.

I have good results in my choked muzzleloaders using tow thin leather over powder wads and then a shot cartridge made with three thickness of news paper tied shut with kite string.

You have to remember that the "choke" is the amount of constriction from what the bore actually measures, not just the measurement at the muzzle. Until you know what the actual bore measures you don't know what the choke is. I have a 20 gauge that is really a 19 gauge, so when I measure the muzzle diameter it reads as an improved cylinder, but when measuring the constriction from actual bore diameter it's a modified choke. Best not to use "modern" choke measurements to determine choke on a muzzle loading shotgun as their bore diameters can vary quite a bit. Controlling your pattern is best done with how you load it.

I make the shot cartridges by rolling three thickness of news paper around a wooden dowel rod, tying one end shut with kite string, filling the tube, twisting it and then folding it over and tying shut with the kite string.. I load it folded end first and tied end out. The paper cartridge acts as an over shot card. The leather wads are flexible enough to load past the choke easily. I have found that two thickness of newspaper is not stable and tends to tear, more than three doesn't open up and gives a "sluging effect.

Old Hawkeye, any good ideas on how to measure bore diameter 3”-4” down the bore?
If you know an old time machinist they should have a telescoping gauge. They are "T" shaped and the cross piece is two part and spring loaded. You loosen the knob on the long end, insert the cross piece align it across the bore, tighten the knob and then tilt the cross piece to remove it and measure the setting with a micrometer or calipers. I have a set that will measure from 1/2 inch up to six inches. They come in handy,

The "snap" type gages AKA telescoping gages will work but they can only be inserted maybe a few inches into that bore before the ends of the gage get hung-up and you can't get it out to take a measurement without un-doing the lock on the tool :dunno: . I would just use a standard choke gage and be done with it.;):ThankYou:

I have a shotgun just like yours. I only use card wads and sometimes felt wads. Never had any problems with the chokes. If things get dirty the felt wads go down a little easier but if you don't need fast reloads a tight 12 gauge 1/8" card will scape those chrome plated bores pretty clean. You do need to pattern them, I found that one barrel on mine shoots a little more open pattern so I swapped the triggers around so the front one fires the more open pattern. If you think it shoots to tight (it is possible in some situations) try smaller amount of shot (1/4 to 3/8) with thin OS shot cards between them to make a spreader load. You end up burning a lot of powder and shot, but you never know what will work for you till you try it.

Last edited:
I have a shotgun just like yours. I only use card wads and sometimes felt wads. Never had any problems with the chokes. If things get dirty the felt wads go down a little easier but if you don't need fast reloads a tight 12 gauge 1/8" card will scape those chrome plated bores pretty clean. You do need to pattern them, I found that one barrel on mine shoots a little more open pattern so I swapped the triggers around so the front one fires the more open pattern. If you think it shoots to tight (it is possible in some situations) try smaller amount of shot (1/4 to 3/8) with thin OP shot cards between them to make a spreader load. You end up burning a lot of powder and shot, but you never know what will work for you till you try it.

Latest posts

Back