• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Navy Arms Charleville Questions.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-Steel

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have been a muzzleloading shooter, builder and enthusiast since the early to mid 1970s.
My question may sound off key or not. So here goes.
I have an older Navy Arms ( Mikouru ) Charleville musket. I have fired it on occasion and used it and other for the various show and tell displays at encampments and Forts.
Does anyone actually use theirs for hunting

Using shot or solid ball. I admit that mine has never taken game that I know of. Just paper enemies and an occasional printed rabbit or squirrel.

I use mine for hunting turkey, the .70 bore is great for buckshot and the taper of the barrel provides a decent grouping For the shot.

Its not bad at 50 yards with a .67 ball for deer, I’ve never tried but I’m sure you could take one down at 70-80 yards. I prefer to use a .54 rifle for deer, don’t want it taking a smoothbore wound and limping off for a few miles, some are ok with this, but its just not my way.

For a musket its lightweight and easy to take down and clean, and the lock and parts of of superb quality.

The only problem I have with the Navy Arms Charleville is the stock, its made of some type of cheap maple or birch and is constantly breaking from use. I’ve epoxied the barrel channel, glued the forearm and had to repair the lock mortise. The lock is so strong it cracked the bottom of the lock mortise.

I’ve been floating the idea of restocking this gun for a while with a Dunlap 1808 stock or a Rifle Shoppe pattern Charleville Stock in making it more sturdy.

Amen on the stock. I am not a fan of the stock. Straight is more than a description.
I am not familiar with the other stocks from TRS and Dunlap.

Amen on the stock. I am not a fan of the stock. Straight is more than a description.
I am not familiar with the other stocks from TRS and Dunlap.

Those navy arms stocks were often made of Birch, you can tell by the weight and the grain would often not take stain. Later models were made of plain maple and stained in walnut, which were better quality. Those Birch stocks dented and cracked. Walnut and cherry was only done with a special order and it was a single piece stock, not like the two piece stocks.

I have been a muzzleloading shooter, builder and enthusiast since the early to mid 1970s.
My question may sound off key or not. So here goes.
I have an older Navy Arms ( Mikouru ) Charleville musket. I have fired it on occasion and used it and other for the various show and tell displays at encampments and Forts.
Does anyone actually use theirs for hunting
I use my 66 Charleville and my Bess to hunt rabbits all the time. I haven't used it to hunt larger game yet. I may decide to use either one on an upcoming antlerless deer hunt.

Back