• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter **SPF**

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter .58cal. rifle to sell. It is something that I thought I wanted at the time. Not now. The bore is like new. It has a couple of chips in the wood, but nothing bad. I had to epoxy the pressed-in key escutcheons in because the previous owner(s) didn't know enough to bevel the edges of the key and knocked them out pounding the key in. I have a Lee Minie mold, a #11 cap nipple,, some Minies, and .570s that go with it $575 shipped.

DSCF1998 (2).JPGDSCF2001.JPGDSCF1999.JPGDSCF2001.JPGDSCF2002.JPGDSCF2003.JPGDSCF2004.JPG

It is a factory modified 1863 Remington Zouave that Navy Arms had made in the 60's and 70's and maybe later dates.
If EC121 would post a photo of the markings then you can tell when it was made.
I have found that mine loves 45 - 50 gr of Swiss 3F shooting a minie made with a Lee 575-500-M mould.

Yes please compare ! My observation of seeing them was just a sporterized "Z" also.

I also wonder if anyone ever did a side by side comparison of Buffalo hunter and the and the H&R Springfield stalker in same caliber (and maybe the H&R HUNTSMAN hunter too)

I think these were simply sporterized Zouaves. I could compare mine to my musket, both 1972 vintage, but I doubt it will be heavier at the breech. To me they are likened to the sporterized muskets sold to pioneers following the Civil War.

I think the guy from Dixie Gun Works took one to Africa to hunt dangerous game, IIRC.
The Buffalo Hunter was taken to Africa by Val Forgett of Navy Arms where he used it to harvest plains game. He used the then current Navy Arms Hawken loaded with a special heavy conical bullet on the dangerous stuff. Turner Kirkland of Dixie Gun Works took an original 4 bore side by side to Africa and harvested an elephant with it. He took Jim Carmichael of Outdoor Life along on that trip if memory serves.

Back