• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Navy Arms 1863 Springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Navy Arms U.S. Springfield Model 1863 .58 musket. This rifle puzzles me, as it appears to be factory blued, as opposed to being in the white. Stamps are pristine. I am calling bluing 100%. Bore is MINT and rifle shows no indication of having been fired. This Model 1863 has variation II features like the band springs. It has a 40" round barrel marked on the left "Japan 0201" (early blued production?) and on the top "Navy Arms Co. Ridgefield N.J. U.S.A." The rifle is made by Miroku in Japan. The stock is made of straight grain European walnut and is in very good+ condition, with some minor scuffs on wrist. The lock plate is marked "U.S. Springfield - Navy Arms Co. Ridgefield N.J. U.S.A. - 1863. Oddly, the buttplate screws have Phillips heads. A single blued slotted screw of same size was in box. Comes in numbered factory box. Asking $850+Shipping.
IMG_20210917_155738524.jpg
IMG_20210917_155433714.jpg
IMG_20210917_155343924.jpg
IMG_20210917_155530237.jpg
IMG_20210917_155558127.jpg
IMG_20210917_155616173.jpg
IMG_20210917_155753257.jpg
IMG_20210917_155906392.jpg
IMG_20210917_154812163.jpg
IMG_20210917_154754501.jpg

Never seen a blued one in 26 years of reenacting, or a original one blued.
With such a low serial number, 201, I wonder if first runs were blued and later ones correct white? Very likely from 60s or early 70s. Otherwise, someone went through a lot of what would seem to be pointless effort to have it professionally blued. I admit little experience with this model Wonder how hard to strip? Will entertain any reasonable offers.

BigSkyRambler, can you say what the rate of twist, number of grooves and bore diameter are?

Mirokus were blued. In N-SSA they are known great shooters

Mirokus were blued. In N-SSA they are known great shooters

Nothing wrong with rifles, shotguns and B.P. rifles made by Miroku. A lot of service men that got stationed in Japan bought Miroku shotguns Most of them were well pleased with them as I am. I didn't buy one due to lack of extra cash!

I vaguely recall Dixie listing a Miroku 1863 with a case hardened lock and hammer, and possibly blued barrel , we're going back over 20 years.

The Phillips screws might mean someone took it apart and lost the one slotted head screw after bluing it , we'll never know. Could be that someone bought it in the white and liked Springfields and Enfields, so they blued it to make it look like both of them. It's a nice looking rifle.

Navy Arms U.S. Springfield Model 1863 .58 musket. This rifle puzzles me, as it appears to be factory blued, as opposed to being in the white. Stamps are pristine. I am calling bluing 100%. Bore is MINT and rifle shows no indication of having been fired. This Model 1863 has variation II features like the band springs. It has a 40" round barrel marked on the left "Japan 0201" (early blued production?) and on the top "Navy Arms Co. Ridgefield N.J. U.S.A." The rifle is made by Miroku in Japan. The stock is made of straight grain European walnut and is in very good+ condition, with some minor scuffs on wrist. The lock plate is marked "U.S. Springfield - Navy Arms Co. Ridgefield N.J. U.S.A. - 1863. Oddly, the buttplate screws have Phillips heads. A single blued slotted screw of same size was in box. Comes in numbered factory box. Asking $850+Shipping.View attachment 94507View attachment 94508View attachment 94509View attachment 94510View attachment 94511View attachment 94512View attachment 94513View attachment 94514View attachment 94515View attachment 94516
I had one of these years ago. Excellent rifle. Mine was finished bright with a blued rear sight and a case hardened lock. The stock was of Japanese cherry with some very pretty figure. And these rifles didn't have bulky stocks like the Italian rifles do.

I vaguely recall Dixie listing a Miroku 1863 with a case hardened lock and hammer, and possibly blued barrel , we're going back over 20 years.

The Phillips screws might mean someone took it apart and lost the one slotted head screw after bluing it , we'll never know. Could be that someone bought it in the white and liked Springfields and Enfields, so they blued it to make it look like both of them. It's a nice looking rifle.
I think one of the local hardware stores has blued screws in their specialty fastener section. Or maybe I can buy a small quantity online. I could replace some crappy butstock screws on other rifles with them.

I have virtually the same rifle but mine is the 1864 version and it was made in Japan as well and it is a Navy Arms. My barrel is in the white like the originals and the lock is blued. The workmanship is excellent and at first glance it almost appears original. I've had mine for about 35 years. Fun gun to shoot.

Has that stock been scorched or something? Or is it just the lighting?

a steal at that price! NEW IN THE BOX!! they don't get any better than that!

I had one that I bought in 1979. It was bright finish, even the lock. They did not case harden the locks until later. They are very desirable guns today. Hold onto it. (If it was me I'd strip the bluing off.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back