• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms 1863 Springfield maker?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For about $500 I picked up this older Navy Arms import 1863 Springfield.

It doesn't have any markings , no "Made in Italy " Blackpowder Only, nothing.

It doesn't seem defarbed , its like the markings were never there, plus it does say Navy Arms by the tang screw.

All there is , is the number 2231 and a small Bullseye looking symbol.

It looks neat, has a lot of field/skirmish/reenactor wear with some nice "character" on the stock that gives it an experienced look. At first glance you would think it might be an original.

Someone added a rear sight blank with holes drilled in it, off center, in what looks like an attempt to correct for windage. Points to possible Skirmish use.

I would guess it's an early Pedersoli and not a Miroku, which is fine.

I'm gonna have to pop the lock off and clean it out, and get some of the surface rust off the bolster area but it looks like it will make a nice range shooter. The bore looks ok, some old dust and patches of hazy rust like this thing has been sitting in a closet for 20 years

Attachments

• 20190528_225810.jpg
    20190528_225810.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 20190528_225832.jpg
    20190528_225832.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 122
The stamping next to eagle looks like triple proofed, Liege house.
Are there any markings on other side?
Might be markings on bottom of barrel.

I'll have to get a better picture of the other barrel markings.

I'm thinking I'll have to pull the barrel anyway to look for rust and to put a coat of Eezox on there

That small looking bullseye symbol is an early Pedersoli my friend.

I have a very early Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle that is stamped with the same symbol. Mine also has Pedersoli stamped on it as well.
The distributor on mine is Navy Arms. From what you described, your 1863 Springfield is an early Pedersoli.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Cowboy,

Do you have an approximate date when the musket was made? The reason I ask is because it probably will help the OP when he needs to get repair parts.

When Navy Arms first brought out their M1863 with a One Piece American Walnut Stock, I was there at the NSSA Nationals when they debuted it. It was in the early/mid 80's, though I can't remember the exact year. I do know that EuroArms made those Springfields for Navy Arms, so only San Paolo parts will fit them.

We didn't work a whole lot of earlier Navy Arms Springfields with the two piece stocks, but it seems I recall the EuroArms parts fit them as well,though I could be wrong about that and of course we always checked to parts to ensure they fit.

Gus

Cowboy,

Do you have an approximate date when the musket was made? The reason I ask is because it probably will help the OP when he needs to get repair parts.

When Navy Arms first brought out their M1863 with a One Piece American Walnut Stock, I was there at the NSSA Nationals when they debuted it. It was in the early/mid 80's, though I can't remember the exact year. I do know that EuroArms made those Springfields for Navy Arms, so only San Paolo parts will fit them.

We didn't work a whole lot of earlier Navy Arms Springfields with the two piece stocks, but it seems I recall the EuroArms parts fit them as well,though I could be wrong about that and of course we always checked to parts to ensure they fit.

Gus
I pulled it out. AB=1976

Respectfully, Cowboy

Awesome info :)

The fit and finish seem pretty good, I think, if I'm not mistaken, that the current Pedersoli 1861s are made on the Euroarms machinery that Pedersoli bought when Euroarms went under.

Also, this looks a lot like those "Colt contract rifles" made by Pedersoli up until I think the mid 90s. Probably the same rifle. Just without the "Colt" stamps.

For $500 I'm happy with it as long as it shoots, I saved a few hundred vs a new Pedersoli 1861 and no one makes an 1863 anymore besides Chiappa, if you count that "Special Contract" rifle

Latest posts

Back