• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms 1863 Springfield Hammer Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

32 Cal
Reaction score
A friend in the living history world has a problem with his Navy Arms 1863 Springfield (I believe Miroku). He has had it for a couple decades, and it appears the hammer is a bit soft and has rounded out a bit around the tumbler. Tumbler is still square, but the inside of the hammer is rounded. He asked me to find a replacement because I have basic 'smithing experience. I have never worked on any variation of an 1863 (repro or original), so I wanted to ask you guys about it.

At first I wondered about welding it up and cutting it, but that would require precise angles and distances and more work than I would really like to do (and I am already iffy about the hardness with how rounded it is). He said he would be fine if I simply replaced the hammer. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement hammer for this particular gun?

I appreciate any help you all can give me.

(Note: I am doing this for free--he's just going to pay for the hammer and probably feed me or something.)

A friend in the living history world has a problem with his Navy Arms 1863 Springfield (I believe Miroku). He has had it for a couple decades, and it appears the hammer is a bit soft and has rounded out a bit around the tumbler. Tumbler is still square, but the inside of the hammer is rounded. He asked me to find a replacement because I have basic 'smithing experience. I have never worked on any variation of an 1863 (repro or original), so I wanted to ask you guys about it.

At first I wondered about welding it up and cutting it, but that would require precise angles and distances and more work than I would really like to do (and I am already iffy about the hardness with how rounded it is). He said he would be fine if I simply replaced the hammer. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement hammer for this particular gun?

I appreciate any help you all can give me.

(Note: I am doing this for free--he's just going to pay for the hammer and probably feed me or something.)
Should be able to find this part easily? S&S Firearms, etc.

Have not been able to find a NA/Miroku 1863 hammer anywhere. S&S was the first place I looked.

I had him double check the gun for me. Turns out it’s Pedersoli. Still can’t find any of those. Any idea if an original hammer is compatible with a Pedersoli 1863 action?

I had him double check the gun for me. Turns out it’s Pedersoli. Still can’t find any of those. Any idea if an original hammer is compatible with a Pedersoli 1863 action?
There's a Ped. dealer in New England, Flintlocks, Inc., I believe. If he can't get one, from Ped., I wonder? Let us know how you make out.

Back