• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Navy arms 12ga ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txflycaster

36 Cl.
Reaction score
According to Pedersoli's site the max load for their current model is 1 1/4 oz over 100grains. Two questions , was this the same on the older 70's models that were inported by Navy Arms? Second, were the older versions chrome lined? Relatively new to the world of muzzleloading shotguns , picked one up from a member. Looking to add a challenge into my upland and waterfowl game. Thanks

If your right handed n are shooting with short sleeves on keep your arm under the gun and not elbow out like normal or that left cap going off will burn you on the left wrist as well as pieces stick ya

The older ones are really light have browned barrels n yes they are chrome lined. I shoot 70-80gr of 3f n 1 1/4-1 1/2oz of shot n my older navy arms Pedersoli. Lots of fun! I got one shot gun n in 3 weeks I had 3 lol
Indeed! I have an weakness for double guns .....lol

If your right handed n are shooting with short sleeves on keep your arm under the gun and not elbow out like normal or that left cap going off will burn you on the left wrist as well as pieces stick ya

Attachments

• 20200507_161312.jpg
    20200507_161312.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 105
I have a 12 gauge pedroseli made in the early seventies. I shoot 1&1/4 ounce shot over 75 grain FF

I have an original 20 GA by Powell 38" barrels, an original 11 GA by Selbert 30" barrels and a Pedersoli 12 GA. I shoot the same load in all 3, except for special purpose, which is 75 gr FFg and equal shot, by volume. I find that eliminating the cushion wad and using a card over the powder gives me better patterns.

Why is your gun throwing pieces of the CAP at you? I ahve owned several and that has never occurred.... seems like something could be wrong with your hammers. The hammer cup is designed to retain the cap on the nipple during firing. I pretty confident that you should not be getting burned or stuck by pieces of the cap

Sometimes the pressure lifts the hammer up to where you get a bit of high pressure powder residue. I had a real problem with an under hammer rifle. I shoot my Pedersoli 10 gauge with 80 grains of 2f and an equal volume of shot. Have never needed another load. Just change shot size.

Finally made it out to test the sxs. Pattern was good with 1 1/8 oz of 6's over equal volume charge. Played with wad configuration a bit and managed to break some clays. Now I just need to work up something for ducks and I should be set.

I’m guessing that the orifice in the nipple is too large and allowing excess gas to escape. I shot a round of skeet a few weeks ago with my Pedersoli 12 SxS while wearing a short sleeved shirt and didn’t notice anything hitting my left wrist or arm. Make sure you use hardened steel nipples. My Pedersoli will destroy stainless ones like HotShots in a few shots. Maybe topic for another thread.

According to Pedersoli's site the max load for their current model is 1 1/4 oz over 100grains. Two questions , was this the same on the older 70's models that were inported by Navy Arms? Second, were the older versions chrome lined? Relatively new to the world of muzzleloading shotguns , picked one up from a member. Looking to add a challenge into my upland and waterfowl game. Thanks

What is the proof date for your Navy Arms Shotgun? Mine is "AA" (1975). The barrels are blued as well as the trigger guard. The butt plate is black finish. Mine is quite light. The barrels are not chrome lined. The chrome linings came later.

What is the proof date for your Navy Arms Shotgun? Mine is "AA" (1975). The barrels are blued as well as the trigger guard. The butt plate is black finish. Mine is quite light. The barrels are not chrome lined. The chrome linings came later.
AB code on mine so 1976.

The early Navy Arms double 12's were the most pleasant to carry, they were lite in weight, and pointed beautifully.
Later on the barrels were much heavier, probably to keep the legal people happy.
I am VERY sorry I traded my early Navy Arms double 12. ( bad decision! ) :doh:
I believe chrome lining came later on, as above stated.
Looking in the barrels ( empty of course ) you should see, it you cannot tell, just a drop of vinegar left for a few hours will tell, without harm.
Fred

Back