• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy 1851 or Remington 1858?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crockett

Cannon
Reaction score
I have a Colt Navy 1851 in 36 caliber but I've been thinking about a Remington Army 1858 in 44 caliber. For those that have both- which do you like the best?

I like the Rem, it's design is less prone to cap jamming, but I did do the modification to the cylinder for easier capping.
I honestly don't do enough revolver shooting to have an opinion about accuracy with either, they both shoot like replica cap an ball revolvers shoot.

crockett said:
I have a Colt Navy 1851 in 36 caliber but I've been thinking about a Remington Army 1858 in 44 caliber. For those that have both- which do you like the best?

Remington 1858 in 36 over 44, I just like a .36 but shoot the .44 a touch better.

I am not partial to open top pistols, that is just me. Remington 1858's are the dominant pistols in "As Issue" line matches.

Next buy will be a Cimarron 36. in the Charcoal Blue.

Got a pair of 2nd Generation Colt 1851s :) I also have a SS Uberti 1858 New Army in 44. :)

As far as shooting...I like both. The .44 Remington has more umph... But there is just something about the Navy that puts it in a class of its own. The Remington does shoot more to point of aim/point of impact (like a modern revolver). The Colts shoot a little high, but over the last 30+ years I have learned where to aim.

The SS Remington is definitely easier to keep. My Navies have pre-ban ivory on them and sure are pretty.

Heck, this is a question I can't make a choice on. They both are some of the finest percussion guns ever made.

I prefer the Colt 1851 and 1860.

Their natural pointability because of the grip shape and location just feels better to me.

I'm with Zonie here. The '51 & '60 grip style is far more comfortable for my hand and that's what I'm in it for. I've always found the Remington grip to bump the middle finger to irritation.

I've handled the Rem- just never owned one. One thing that sort of surprised me was to change a cylinder the fit of the pin is pretty tight and you can't just slap the parts together like with a Colt. I agree the Colt grip is better. The Rem seems like a big "hunk of gun" that might be able to take maximum charges of powder and work a little better for stuff like hog hunting.

I like them both. I shoot one then the other. I give them equal time on the range. I just purchased a Colt 1849 and a Remington 1863 (on there way)and can't wait to get them to the range and see how they shoot . :v

I have both and prefer the Remington. Probably has a lot to do with the size of the individuals hand as much as anything. The Colt grips seem better suited to larger hands. Mike D.

I've read a few opinions that the Colt's suffer damage to the wedge area after a while of heavier loads. Typically I've only read of this issue with the Walkers. There's no telling what powders they used.

They are both good guns. I have both in .36. It is somewhat subjective as to which is better (for what? & for whom?).
The Colt 1851 (steel frame .36) is the standard by which others are commonly judged. I would start (warning: you cannot quit with only one BP revolver) there.

crockett said:
I've handled the Rem- just never owned one. One thing that sort of surprised me was to change a cylinder the fit of the pin is pretty tight and you can't just slap the parts together like with a Colt. ...

It is common for Remington replicas to have too tight cylinder pins requiring lots of force to slide forward or having to tap pin forward with a tool.

Carefully taking excess metal off the cylinder pin helps a lot for easy cylinder removal and replacement.

Have seen some alignment problems on the two cylinder pin frame holes.

navysquirrel.jpg

The "51" points like a laser for me. The 58 is a robust fighting handgun, but the 51 is my go to gun when woods walking. Woe be unto the squirrel that ventures into the 10 yard circle I've decided is my personal zone in the hunting woods!

You obviously need an 1858 on your right hip, an 1860 Colt on the left. An 1851 Navy in a cross draw in the left belly area and a pocket pistol in each coat pocket. :rotf:

Colt's look better, feel better, and they shoot better in my hand. A lot better. But I love the convenience of swapping cylinders on a Remington.

Also one of the best western movie lines ever was by Virgil Cole (Ed Harris) in Appaloosa:

Bragg rider: Ow! You knocked my teeth out!

Virgil Cole: Well, Colt makes a heavy firearm.
That's a fact.

:thumbsup:

Back