Native reenactors for 1812 period?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

johannes

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Does anyone here do a portrayal of an 1812 native? Or know of any groups?

Thank you

Notchy Bob

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I would also recommend that you look up Horseshoe Bend Battlefield National Military Park. They reenact the battle of Horseshoe Bend (Tohopeka to the native people) ever year except last year and maybe this year, due to the pandemic. I believe native people are well represented among the reenactors, both the Creek defenders and the Cherokee allies of the federal troops and militias. I have not attended the reenactment, but I am a member of the park's CSO.

The Red Stick War was sort of a sideshow to the larger War of 1812, but it was of extraordinary importance. I would consider the attack on Fort Mims, which kicked things off, to be the "Nine Eleven" of its day. The entire southern frontier was electrified by this event, which was even acknowledged in the map graphic in Disney's Davy Crockett. This event did in fact compel the real Mr. Crockett to join the militia and the war. I think Crockett got a bellyful pretty quickly, though.

Notchy Bob

Rod Man

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This will be my first event,

A New Star on the Gulf
Surveying the boundaries of Mississippi - 1818

April 23-25, 2021
John Ford Home – Sandy Hook, Mississippi

Sponsored by The Southern District Regulars
In one of the paragraphs,

The main focus for A New Star on the Gulf is that of the common US regular infantryman. That said, we are also opening this event to dirtyshirt militia, Choctaw and Creek allies as well as civilians. We are striving for high end, authentic impressions for this event. If you have any questions regarding what may or may not be acceptable, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
So, I will know more after this weekend. As I am the "FNG" on the Survey Crew, I am clueless to how everything works. However, I am very much looking forward to the experience. Will post up pics when I can and I should have more information for ya.

Here is the contact link for the Southern District Regulars,
southerndistrictregulars@gmail.com.

RM

Fossilsn

32 Cal
Reaction score
There are a couple of Creek War events in southern Alabama this summer. First one is on June 11th and 12th. It's the 1836 not the 1813-1814 war, but I have to imagine they have the same reenactors. The Burnt Corn Creek is just a one day event on July 24th so not sure how big it will be. I'll ask around to see if I can find a contact for the Creek reenactors.

Einsiedler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I used to run around with many. Now most have gone on to other things.

The ones I knew ( 15-20 years ago) pretty much got fed up dealing with the assorted National and State park services at events. Hence there exit to other things.

Fossilsn

32 Cal
Reaction score
Spoke to a friend and he said that the Creek and Seminole reenactors don't have organizations and have avoided making a formal organization, but have loose networks. The reenactments I mentioned in Alabama tend to be filled with locals resulting in varying degrees of authenticity. Hope its better in other parts of the country.