Native Reenacting

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Great Pics.Thanks a lot Henry. :bow:
Very interessting the inside of the longhouse.

Okwaho who's the lovley woman with the leather jacket? :redface:
:hatsoff:

Okwaho

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Undertaker, I don't know who she is. I think she may have been taking pictures and/or was with the Native with the headress who gave a talk on wampum belts.Beyond that I just don't know.
Tom Patton

Reaction score
When i look at all the pics from Mankers Station, Martin's Station or all the other 18th century reeanacting events,am i wrong or are most of the 'natives', white guys?

Most are white are small amount of blood, at least from people in my group of actors,, I have Taino blood In me which is not native to “America” but native to Puerto Rico island,, but I portray a white who was raised by the native people, when ever people ask me at an event , what tribe Iam, I always explain I’m here to show and teach that whites where raised into the tribes , some events my best friend comes out with me , he’s Mohawk, so I always add to my portrayal that this is my adopted brother ,,, which outside of the events he is like my brother , he n his family is why I do what I do, his mom always treated me like a son

Rudyard

40 Cal
Reaction score
Interesting topic I have been involved with Indian culture in the UK rangeing from the seemingly 'Wicked Authentic' to Academic but too out of the wardrode squeeky tidy .By & large I found their portrayals to my eyes exellent AND respectful I made no attempt to portray India other than adding to a small theatrical event as weirdo Shaman here in NZ at an A&P show I have been to a Pow wow in Massachusets and such are held in UK

Rudyard

40 Cal
Reaction score
Interesting topic I have been involved with Indian culture in the UK rangeing from the seemingly 'Wicked Authentic' to Academic but too out of the wardrode squeeky tidy .By & large I found their portrayals to my eyes exellent AND respectful I made no attempt to portray India other than adding to a small theatrical event as weirdo Shaman here in NZ at an A&P show I have been to a Pow wow in Massachusets and such are held in UK
I had written more but the E gajet said I went over 30 minets !.
I met' White Horse' one snowy night in Hardwick Mass he rolled up late set up a lodge in the snow with wife & child . I was gob smacked . He later gave me a bone Otter which I still have .I later did F&I at Fort Ti actually married during an F&I Grand Encampment saw many excellence NA portrayals. Other than the mad Shaman stuff at A& P shows ((County Fairs ) I didn't 'Do ' NA but some here do it well as far a I'me a judge . I once got a ride up to Edmonton with Crow Foot chief of the Black Foot Later when hitching down from Dawson City I met a slightly worse for wear NA by Edwards creek junction .He implored I keep him company but it was getting dark so I told him I was going to make camp but would come see if he's there after Ide set up my bower over a spruce bed on the snow & got the fire going it was dark he was still there so I said " If you don't get a ride you will see my fire" & he subsequently joined me I had two down bags as Ide been camping up at Dawson thus we camped & I made him breakfast ere he returned to get a ride , who picked me up too to Dease Lake. He never said much . He was a Guide of the Taltan Band I gathered . I went to Glenora for a week or so thinking to descend the Stikine river to Wrangle a local was he said going by canoe but it didn't pan out. I should have walked but by then my tucker was much reduced Might have been a lucky break as the river was full of snow melt as would be the side creeks no doubt .. Any way that's me & NA experiences .Rudyard

blackhorse

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Years ago, at Boonesburough, there was a group calling themselves Yellow n-word(I hated to say it this way but I didn't want some moderator to delete this over PCism) To this day I do not know if they were white or not, but to me they were very convincing.

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
I would point out a couple/ three or so things:
Indian tribes tended to be very culturally prejudiced. They were the “people” or some sort of special people. Most of the names we call tribes come from tribes names for the others, and tend to be disparaging.
However they were not racially prejudice. People got adopted in to tribes and children born to a woman was a full member of her tribe. Lots of ‘Indians’ in the famous East Indian wars and culture meetings were white or part white. So a ‘white Indian’ at an event is not out of place.
Indian warfare was very rough. While ‘rape’ wasn’t a thing Indians practiced they did force captive women in to marriages and made sure they stayed captives. The also practiced slaughter of women and children when taking captives was inconvenient. And freely tortured people to death. They practiced cannibalism at times. Today we have anthropologist who want to down play this as ‘dehumanizing’ to ‘native people’ but facts don’t care about feelings.
Culture is very changeable. Indian culture of cr 1700 is no more like modern Indian culture then white Europeans today are like their eighteenth century ancestors. Just as we need to recognize Distasteful aspects of European culture we should be able to recognize distasteful aspects of Indian culture at that time.

Atticus69

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I would point out a couple/ three or so things:
Indian tribes tended to be very culturally prejudiced. They were the “people” or some sort of special people. Most of the names we call tribes come from tribes names for the others, and tend to be disparaging.
However they were not racially prejudice. People got adopted in to tribes and children born to a woman was a full member of her tribe. Lots of ‘Indians’ in the famous East Indian wars and culture meetings were white or part white. So a ‘white Indian’ at an event is not out of place.
Indian warfare was very rough. While ‘rape’ wasn’t a thing Indians practiced they did force captive women in to marriages and made sure they stayed captives. The also practiced slaughter of women and children when taking captives was inconvenient. And freely tortured people to death. They practiced cannibalism at times. Today we have anthropologist who want to down play this as ‘dehumanizing’ to ‘native people’ but facts don’t care about feelings.
Culture is very changeable. Indian culture of cr 1700 is no more like modern Indian culture then white Europeans today are like their eighteenth century ancestors. Just as we need to recognize Distasteful aspects of European culture we should be able to recognize distasteful aspects of Indian culture at that time.
Very true! However as to the rape not being part of their culture, that depends. East of the Mississippi that would be true. Likewise west of the rockies. On the Plains rape and gang rape were not just common but the norm. Also, most of the plains tribes rarely took captives, male,female or child regardless of race. There were exceptions like the Crows, but largely captives were rare, treated brutally and rarely adopted as in the east. These facts were well known at the time, but are being scrubbed out of contemporary history. There were good reasons that great leaders from the plains tribes like Red Cloud and Quannah Parker refused to talk about their exploits against settlers. Those interested should look for 1st hand accounts from those who actually were contemporaries of events, many of whom lived with, intermarried and were partial to the indians. Reading those and accounts from early or first contact reporters gives a very different account than either what we are taught today or what many natives believe about their ancestors. You are dead on about culture changing in all cases and races.

nagantino

32 Cal
Reaction score
In the truly excellent, Empire of the Summer Moon, the author details the depredations suffered by the Texan settlers. The Comanche were a ferocious foe and struck terror into everyone within their range. During a summer moon, every man, woman and child went in fear of their lives from the Comanche, especially the women.

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
They were a primitive cultured people. We should not forget that until just a few centuries before the American settlement of Texas Europeans still killed or enslaved all members of an enemy army and would plunder a city captured for one to three days after the capture. Kill all heretics and orthodox and let God judge them.
The oh so civilized Brits would spend three wars in a row encouraging Indian to make the most savage warfare they could on Britain’s enemies.
And the parents of the Texas settlers made bloody reprisals on the British Indians
Indians were neither the blood thirsty savages of bad westerns,nor the innocent children of nature of Buffy St Marie, innocent victims of Dee Brown or Vine Delores. They were spiritual loyal, community conscious honest thieves driven by ambition who would stab you in the back the first chance they got. In short they weren’t much different then the guys on the other end of their gun.

Atticus69

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
In the truly excellent, Empire of the Summer Moon, the author details the depredations suffered by the Texan settlers. The Comanche were a ferocious foe and struck terror into everyone within their range. During a summer moon, every man, woman and child went in fear of their lives from the Comanche, especially the women.
Have read it. It is both well researched and an excellent read.

Reaction score
This past Oct. while hunting in Wyoming had the opportunity to visit a original native American museum near Sheridan, although this pertained to the Plaines people it was truly a opportunity to have, there was a film describing the sun dance ceremony and explaining the religious aspects connected with the ceremony. Also a guide whom was a original people of the Back Foot nation, the presentation was of modern tribal people but you could see the pride and history during the film. In my opinion the true people of this great country are the ones whom got the shaft and not all the other winers you see on the news casts. I have always had a great feeling for the original American people.

blackhorse

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Not trying to start a fight here,,, but what exactly are "the true people" of this great country ???? I was born and raised in The United States of America, that, by definition makes me a native American. People of all nations have gotten "the shaft" and it continues today. So united we stand, divided we fall.

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.
Reaction score
In the context of modern America we are all the "true people" of this country and the world. In the context of tribal thought only people of one's tribe are the "true people" while everyone else are the "other people". Lets think of all of us in the modern context.

Reaction score
Black Horse,Correct but if you think of the Americas as a melting pot of different cultures, people and traditions who are the original inhabitants. The European explorers took what they wanted and ravished the native populations for labor, wealth and any other thing they could take. If modern terms are used and supposedly correct this makes us a ever evolving population where as we will eventually lose all individuality and cultural back ground. Perhaps this is the grand plan in the long run, SHEEPLE maybe this could be the new term used to describe the population, follow me do not think or cut your own path for you are not capable. As you no fight here just thoughts I believe in the long run we best stand together and preserve the cultures of each individual as well as the way of life we treasure for there are those whom are willing and working to strip you of it disguised in the cloak of humanity.

Jacobeen

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Cahokia, why aren't you all hailing that? a thousand years ago a society in the heart of America created it - as significant as Mayan and Inca creations, they might not have had flint and black powder but they sure had organisation and endeavour, things that you can be proud of in your roots.

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
Black Horse,Correct but if you think of the Americas as a melting pot of different cultures, people and traditions who are the original inhabitants. The European explorers took what they wanted and ravished the native populations for labor, wealth and any other thing they could take. If modern terms are used and supposedly correct this makes us a ever evolving population where as we will eventually lose all individuality and cultural back ground. Perhaps this is the grand plan in the long run, SHEEPLE maybe this could be the new term used to describe the population, follow me do not think or cut your own path for you are not capable. As you no fight here just thoughts I believe in the long run we best stand together and preserve the cultures of each individual as well as the way of life we treasure for there are those whom are willing and working to strip you of it disguised in the cloak of humanity.
People from what’s now the American Southwest were driven south by drought about 1200 AD. They would settle in a Swamp no one else’s wanted. Two centuries later they ruled an empire that stretched across the land, from the North Sea to the south. An Empire built on blood.
They called them selves Mesheca we call them Aztecs.
The Inca built an empire the same way, as did the great Mississippian empire, that died a little before Europeans made much of an impact on America.
The Anasazi died in a welter of blood and cannibalism. The Iroquois were building an empire when they ran in to a new better armed people... and for a century gave whites a few nightmares
I’m sure a Crow woman under a Sioux knifes last thought in this life was ‘that God it’s another Indian and not a white man killing me’.

Latest posts

Group Builder