• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

National Muzzleloading Rifle Assoc

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
common guys. Trying to have a discussion with these two are like trying wrestle with a pig. Sooner or latter you should realize that the pig enjoys it.

Fleener

Billnpatti said:
C'mon, is any organization perfect? What organization doesn't have its flaws. I mean, even your church has its flaws and it is seeking the will of God. I am an NMLRA member and have been for many years. I don't plan to quit even though I can't attend any of the National Matches any more. The NMLRA wants to promote muzzleloading and see the interest in muzzleloading grow. Isn't that what we all want? If you have ever served on a school board, a fraternal organization board, a church board, you know not everyone has the same idea about how things ought to be done. Do any of them run as smooth as silk? Nope. Everyone has ideas about how things ought to be done and for an organization to work for us, we have to be willing to work together for the common good and not spend our time infighting and nitpicking. Is there a better national or international muzzleloading organization than NMLRA? If there is, I am unaware of it.

I find it easier to do my own thing, than be part of a group that only talks about doing things.

The NMLRA is the only Muzzleloading Group around, many groups that do muzzleloading do just fine without belonging to the NMLRA.

Being a NMLRA Member would be a great deal if someone lives close to Friendship. They have a range to shoot on, a place to hunt, a place to camp reasonably.

If you live a 1,000 or 2,000 mile away what does membership offer? A magazine that Barns & Nobel would not have on its shelves as it is repetitive, members orientated, boring, and more of a members news letter in a magazine format.

fleener said:
common guys. Trying to have a discussion with these two are like trying wrestle with a pig. Sooner or latter you should realize that the pig enjoys it.

Fleener

We've got a winner..!!!
:thumbsup:
For individuals who appear to want nothing to do with the only national organization I'm aware of that supports and promotes muzzleloaders, some folks sure have a lot to say.

Well!....We could go back to discussing the OP's original questions....

11th corps said:
Also I read NMLRA is now trying to increase membership by catering to in lines as well. What has been your experience with in line shooters? Do some of them eventually become traditional blackpowder shooters?

Of course that would violate forum rules......Which does make me wonder how this topic managed to go on for 4 pages.... :hmm: :haha:

Every attempt I have made at converting a non-traditional shooter to the wonderful world of real muzzleloading has failed.....They have no interest in it... I'm sure there's a guy in Kalamazoo or Timbuktu that could be converted but I haven't met them.....

It is much easier to convert a total novice.

I've heard tons of excuses from non-traditional shooters.....

It costs too much I can buy this other one for $100

I want a scope

It's too long

I want one I don't have to clean...

This one has a stainless barrel and won't rust..

I can shoot ballistic tip with this one...

I don't have to measure powder with this one...

Wine, wine, wine, wine,......I feel like I'm in Napa Valley.

I finally gave up. I could not figure out if they are for/against, hate it/love it or even if involved in it. The winds of the discussion changed faster than wind flags in Phoenix. Your are right discussing in this post you are going to get dirty. There were a couple of post that made me rethink some ideas, but the bottom line, out of all the members on this board only a few chimed in, does any one care?

Michael

It's hard to care when no one listens and those that do are really just pretending.....

Did you get your NMLRA member satisfaction survey in the mail?

meanmike said:
I finally gave up. I could not figure out if they are for/against, hate it/love it or even if involved in it. The winds of the discussion changed faster than wind flags in Phoenix. Your are right discussing in this post you are going to get dirty. There were a couple of post that made me rethink some ideas, but the bottom line, out of all the members on this board only a few chimed in, does any one care?

Michael

If you don't like the wind in Phoenix Arizona don't come here end of February or most of March. I often wondered why the NMLRA did their Winter or Western Shoot in those times? April is great weather, May is getting hot but still not windy.

Couple of years back the Traders the Western Shoot were swarmed with local media after a major March wind relocated all the trader about 100 yards, doing a lot of damage, and have everyone mad at GOD. As wind if predictable, but when it hit the only one to blame is GOD.

Another bad decision by the NMLRA to have a shoot in the time of year know for Wind & Rain. National Weather has Weather History on their web-site, did anyone think of looking and a possible date change?

After several years of bad weather killing shooting days!

Arizona winds are nothing compared to Idaho in June. Never said I didn't enjoy myself. Chill out!

Michael

meanmike said:
Arizona winds are nothing compared to Idaho in June. Never said I didn't enjoy myself. Chill out!

Michael

My point is Arizona is know for Rains & Bad Winds the period of Mid-February to End of March. The weather has kicked A** on both SASS & NMLRA.

To have better weather both groups should maybe start looking at April.

Like I said a few years back Traders Row was blow up & down really bad by a free wind story, the Traders thousand of dollars in damage.

It's been a while since I was on this forum, I forgot one of the cardinal rules. But technically I think we are not discussing inlines, but how those shooters might transfer to traditional?
Anyway, each response has given me food for thought. I still have not decided if I will give up $35 of my hard earned money to join the NMLRA again. Since I do not shoot in the matches (except the Muzzle Blasts Postal Match) the magazine is really all I am getting out of the organization. $35 will buy more powder and ball.

I thought about that when starting up - I'm in Virginia and a long way from Indiana. The NMLRA Charter Club program is where I spend most of my time. Our NMLRA Charter Club does outreach specifically to younger shooters and women. We have instructors at the major events at our local conservation club range to introduce people to our sport. We've always been welcome there as instructors, which is great. The conservation club is very active in having "open house" days where we get dozens of people new to shooting sports and new to muzzleloading every year.

We've introduced a couple hundred people to muzzleloading in the past few years because of those events, and have had a handful of takers get into the sport - not very many, but we fight the good fight and sometimes you do have a success. It's a sport that's both niche and one where you're always looking for someone who might be interested.

I actually knew of the NMLRA first when getting into the sport and through them hooked up with a charter club locally. I joined the NMLRA for one year just to see if I would enjoy the sport and through the magazine got hooked up with the charter club where I'm now a member and shoot regularly.

So I think the NMLRA does offer something to people outside Indiana, particularly charter clubs that have regular shoots and introduce people to the sport. It's not confined to Indiana, though it does seem to get focused on it sometimes.

Arizona has special Muzzle Loading Hunting Season, that help sell people muzzleloader most of witch were Inlines.

Many years ago I happen to talk with one of the VP's at Ruger as to why they choose to do and Inline v/s say a Hawkin Type of Muzzle Loader? It was even discussed by rudder the idea of Triditional, v/s inline.

The inline won out I was told because it look like a Blot Action Modern Firearm thus an easier item to retail.

Ruger is in business to make money, and their inline sold inline the Browning Johnathan Browing Hawkin that was a wonderful offering.

Still some inline shooter do cross over to triditional, and their inline collect dust because them made the change.

Ray-Vigo said:
So I think the NMLRA does offer something to people outside Indiana, particularly charter clubs that have regular shoots and introduce people to the sport. It's not confined to Indiana, though it does seem to get focused on it sometimes.

How does the NMLRA help you recruit and retain members on the local level?
I think the money everyone in your club is spending on their NMLRA memberships would be better spent directly on new club members and intros...Cut out the middleman that siphons off your funding ability.

I live in Indiana, and have only been to Friendship a couple of times. Each was just to walk the vendors row and buy a few items. Have never shot on the range. I have a club close to where I live to shoot.

Back