• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Narrowed down to percussion, here's what I think I want.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And how often do these springs break ?

Buzz
That's a question that I cannot answer.
I am sure that would depend on many factors.
Things like age, usage, abuses, environment, quality of the original alloy, how it was made and hardened.
I have been shooting flints for a couple of years now, and have had 2 frizzen spring failures. One of them was my fault, the other was ????? Maybe old age??? Maybe too many times it had been flipped? I have had 1 mainspring break, but it was replaced quickly because it was from a manufacturer that was still in business. The point is - if you are shooting factory guns or even custom guns, sooner or later stuff is going to break or fail. I have a really nice old Remington that was discontinued in 1935. I would love to shoot it, but there are no parts - so I can pay a HUGE price to have the missing parts made by a machine shop, or use it for a display piece.
The same applies to muzzleloaders - sure - parts can be made, sure - newer parts can be fitted for locks and triggers. That comes at a much higher cost though. A broken tumbler on a TC - no factory parts available. I have heard of folks using a Lyman tumbler - with modifications - to replace it. My point is that a gun that is not obsolete will be easier to repair than one that is obsolete.
I did not say it could not be done.

Most I think would have called that the feather spring.
I have always referred to that spring as the frizzen spring - I will go back to that. Everyone knows what you are talking about.
I will leave the "feather" or "fly" to the English experts, I'll use American "frizzen" springs from now on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a good used TC Hawken would be a good choice. There are many nice, used samples that regularly she up for sale. I have had mine for about 40 years and it has been functionally superb with little, if any wear on the parts.

There is an Armsport hawken in the classified right now with a decent asking price. that would be a good option to look at.

Lyman Trade Rifle would be a good choice however all shops I know of are out of stock and some are not letting you backorder them. Another option is the Lyman Deerstalker. I think it will do everything you want. Just have to have a little gunsmithing to add the sight I reckon or use a Lyman peep on it. 1-48 is a good twist and don't let anyone tell you they don't shoot round balls well. They can and often do it VERY well. I would suggest you stick to the PRB to start out with. Most likely a new rifle is going to be choosy about what bullet/mini/slug it likes best.

Back