• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Narrow screw slots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfcbuf

36 Cal.
Reaction score
The screw slots in the tang bolt and flint lock hammer are too narrow for any screw driver in my tool box. I made a special screw driver for the hammer screw but wonder if the screw slot should be widened in the tang bolt.

I guess the best way to widen a screw slot is to use a hack saw blade to cut it wider? I am considering this for the tang bolt and would appreciate any suggestions.

Also any ideas where I can find wide blade material for making a narrow screw driver if I decide to take that approach. Don't have any wide blade old screw drivers around the garage.

Well technicaly you are supposed to use a knife edge file to open them up a bit. I used the cut off wheel on my dremel at realy slow speed to open them up enough.

Jack

I just bought a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers at sportsmans whse. Haven't found a screw that one of them won't fit yet.
Idaho PRB

Instead of making the slots wider, I just grind the screw driver to fit. Have about 50 screw drivers, some expensive and some are the cheap variety that are available in "bargain barrels" and these are usually the ones that are re-ground to fit a variety of screw slots. I hollow grind the screw drivers by using the grinding wheel dia. so that the tip of the screw driver bears on the bottom of the slot. Also the screw heads are case hardened w/ "Kasenit" thereby allowing some leeway for an ill fitting screw driver. I dislike marred screw slots w/ a passion!!!!! Fred

Brownells makes a screw driver or interchangeable tip for almost any screw you can find on a gun. Sometimes it helps to grind or stone one of their bigger tips to an exact fit for a particular screw. They also sell several width of special screw slot files to open up or repair slightly damaged slots. These files are pricey but are much narrower and do a nicer job than a hacksaw. Then again sometimes you just gotta go with what's available just like the old timers did.

"Any tool can be the right tool", Red Green

I absolutely despise narrow screw slots. I cut mine with a hacksaw. Just the right width AND it pretty well matches most all old screw slots I have seen. So far, I have only occasionally seen screw slots that have very wide "Vees". Most are relatively straight...probably cut with a hacksaw! :winking:

I do clean up the slots afterwards with a small file that I ground down very thin (purpose-made screw slot files are VERY expensive...Make them out of cheap chinese files from a "rat-tail" set for next to nothing)

If the slot has been "boogered", I peen the top first and then open up the slot. I guess I have over a hundred different screwdriver tips as I do this for a living. The driver should completely fill the slot, all the way to bottom and be snug on the sides. They should always be a little smaller in width than the screw, slightly, so you dont scar the frame, etc.

I open them all to fit the large screwdriver on my Swiss Army knife -- you know, the period correct one!

I hate not being able to work on my gun when I need to adjust it or make repairs and I always have my Swiss Army knife with me.

A Dremel, hacksaw or small file can do the job if you are careful.

CS

Wait just one minute !

Are we talking about a modern gun ,
a PC repro or an antique ?

XVIII th cent screws have a narrow V shaped
slot , ( and so should be real PC repro )
not the parallel sides slot of the modern
screws . This is one of the things I look at
when somebody brings me their grand daddy 's gun .
I have made a few " turn screw" repro to work
on repro screws . Old turnscrews are
flat not round .

By the way , how to tell a " turn screw " from
a screwdriver ? Screwdrivers are 15 $ cheaper .

Henry,

You have a point, but this is the Builder's Bench, so there are no originals here that we would be altering.

I can see that some may wish to be so correct in being original that they stick with the tapered screws that strip out. But I want my guns to work well as I use them and am only sharing my thoughts for others to do with as they please. (Yes, I have a hand forged turnscrew for period correct events and I keep my Swiss Army knife in my pocket)

CS

I use my old original style Leatherman (non-locking blades) and have the scars to prove it. :grin:

Been there, done that and got those scars as well, brother.

I just do not see adding to them by cutting tapered screw slots.

CS

You are a funny guy, and so is Red Green!
I as well as the many "over 40" crowd identify with him a bit too much. (hits way too close to home!) :grin:

Back