• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Naming Your Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweetness

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1669655595224.jpg
    FB_IMG_1669655595224.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0
I was at a range picking off clay birds (placed against a dirt mound) off hand @ 50 yards with an iron sight bolt action unmentionable rifle. Another shooter came up to me and asked "What's that little barker". It will forever be "Little Barker" to me now.

I was so proud at about seventeen for ‘making’ my own knife…. I put handles on a butcher blade blank, and finished them.
Proudly showed it to my dad.
He said ‘that will be a nice little friend’
Little Friend been its name ever since.
Still carry it, and it’s been my go to.
Only knife I’ve ever named… still my favorite
Though it’s no HC I don’t think it’s ever missed an event or very many treks in the woods

Last edited:
My old musket I called Moses. I gave Moses to a son. Moses was (and is) a terrific musket in 20 gauge with a 50 inch barrel. I loved that gun (still do). Then I had a musket made specifically for me. A clubbutted fowler in true musket bore, left handed. I named it Aaron. Those are the only guns I have ever named.

My guns were named but not by me. A man on castboolits.
The Hot Rod Hawken and Hot Rod Renegade's.

Attachments

• 1kWwyAq.jpg
    1kWwyAq.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
  • Flatlander 2.jpg
    Flatlander 2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Upgrade 2.jpg
    Upgrade 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
They’re inanimate objects, not people. I see them as tools for leisure and hunting. Beautiful and enjoyable tools, but still tools. I don’t name my wrenches and hammers.
Geographic features like Mountains , cities rivers etc and machines like ships , aircraft etc all have names , why not firearms ? , they certainly have personality and quirks enough to earn one .

Geographic features like Mountains , cities rivers etc and machines like ships , aircraft etc all have names , why not firearms ? , they certainly have personality and quirks enough to earn one .
Bit different, geographical features being named helps with navigation and spatial referencing.

A ship name is an identifier.

Now a ship name might identify, something as easy with a number, they started as a blessing to the ship. It became alive. Eyes were painted on the bow to help it see. The figurehead was a statue of tge living sprite
Ships are ‘she’ and ‘her’
Constitution or Victory have little or nothing at all of the ships that sled down the waves, yet still live. Just as you have been all replaced every few years since your birth, yet is still you.
It ceases to be an inanimate object when you name it
It’s your girl, many old guns did have ladies names, it’s your friend, it’s Bull Thrower. or Ol’ Never Miss.
on a cold night in the tall timber it’s your truest companion. It’s Excalibur, it’s Sting. Named it’s a pet, a loyal dog ever at your service.

Last edited:
Now a ship name might identify, something as easy with a number, they started as a blessing to the ship. It became alive. Eyes were painted on the bow to help it see. The figurehead was a statue of tge living sprite
Ships are ‘she’ and ‘her’
Constitution or Victory have little or nothing at all of the ships that sled down the waves, yet still live. Just as you have been all replaced every few years since your birth, yet is still you.
It ceases to be an inanimate object when you name it
It’s your girl, many old guns did have ladies names, it’s your friend, it’s Bull Thrower. or Ol’ Never Miss.
on a cold night in the tall timber it’s your truest companion. It’s Excalibur, it’s Sting. Named it’s a pet, a loyal dog ever at your service.
We could identify the Arizona just as well by her (its?) official name BB-39, but who would dare? Not I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back