• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Naming guns; Pet names for them. I had a .45 cal. flintlock back in the mid-1970's...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a .45 cal. flintlock back in the mid-1970's which for some reason I gave to a friend. He never used it, and a couple years back he re-gifted it to me, which was good as my muzzle loading interests have grown. So, I named it "Prodigal Gun", as it left and eventually came back! I was very pleased! Good friends and good guns never grow old!

Some years ago my wife called me from a yard sale in our fair city saying a gun was there like I shoot. At the time I was looking to get a nicer rifle than the factory guns which make up most of my arsenal. I went to the sale, expecting to see a CVA or T/C. Instead, there was the rifle of my dreams: a left hand custom made .40 caliber flintlock rifle, unfired since it was made in the mid 1970's. I asked the seller if it had any accessories like a horn or pouch, but did not ask for a better price. I was told there were no accessories, so I gave him the $100 he asked, and went away happy. VERY happy.:):):)

The patch box isn't floral or scrollwork, but is of a woman standing. To open the patch box you have to lift her skirt:eek:. I offered to name my new rifle after my wife but she declined the honor, as did my daughter. So my rifle was christened "The Brassy Lady"!

I have a .62cal. rifle I named "Thumper" because it will thump whatever it hits. I had another I called "Old Ugly" because after seeing the pics of a deer kill, Mark Silver asked my friend if I didn't have a nicer rifle to hunt with. See my blog in Nov. 2015 www.bricestultzhisbog.blogspot.com I sold it, but I wish I had it back.

Last edited:
Well, let’s see here....
.50 Lyman flintlock “Ol’ Flinchy”
.54 home built Plains halfstock capper “Le Boom”
.50 Lyman GPH “Faith”
The others are not named yet.
Walk

I have a CVA Kentucky rifle I bought as a kit in 1979. I had a very elderly friend who's gal pal was Ms. Brown. That's the name the rifle has had since it's completion.
I also have a 52 caliber (32 gauge) shotgun.The stock is a dark walnut with some areas lighter than others. I named it Baylee after one of our dogs. Baylee is mostly chicolate brown with lighter shades, not quiite tan, around her ears and tail.

I have a D/B 10 bore original percussion which I did take out once a year to the Xmas clay shoot a few years ago for which it won for me a bottle Scotch whisky at each years shoot , which it is now revered to has the the whisky gun
Feltwad

My deer hunting rifle is Trudy, which is short for Gertrude, and Gertrude means "strong spear". She tends to knock the deer right down.
My .40 is Patience, as it was a semi-custom build that was offered to me in-the-white and "finished", but it took a while for the fellow to get around to shipping it to me...hence the name...,
My trade gun is called Red, because she has a stock painted in red oil-based paint.

LD

Shotgun called 'Jim' bought with my dad's legacy
PH Enfield 'Smiler' because it makes me smile when I shoot it
ROA &1/2" 'Les' because it belonged to a good mate now on the Grand Range Above
ROA 5" 'Ardvark' because its hard work hitting the middle.

Some years ago my wife called me from a yard sale in our fair city saying a gun was there like I shoot. At the time I was looking to get a nicer rifle than the factory guns which make up most of my arsenal. I went to the sale, expecting to see a CVA or T/C. Instead, there was the rifle of my dreams: a left hand custom made .40 caliber flintlock rifle, unfired since it was made in the mid 1970's. I asked the seller if it had any accessories like a horn or pouch, but did not ask for a better price. I was told there were no accessories, so I gave him the $100 he asked, and went away happy. VERY happy.:):):)

The patch box isn't floral or scrollwork, but is of a woman standing. To open the patch box you have to lift her skirt:eek:. I offered to name my new rifle after my wife but she declined the honor, as did my daughter. So my rifle was christened "The Brassy Lady"!
Great name!

This week I’ll have owned my Trapper 50CAL pistol for four months, which is the same amount of time I’ve been into muzzleloading. Several times I have thought about naming this Traditions replica pistol, and this thread says it is a good time to do that.

I’ve named my Trapper ASP. In a moment I’ll explain what it means. I’ve learned from readings that my Trapper could be historically identified as belonging in the 1780s to late 1800s. So far, the MLF historical sub-forum I most enjoy is the “Rocky Mountain Fur Trade.” But the meaning behind my name choice took me out of the United States, as I looked at the pistol’s usage and historical importance in another country, Russia. However, the time period of the early 1800s is the same. I most likely will not add to our Rocky Mountain sub-forum from this perspective. But I’ve sure enjoyed what I’m reading/learning about this style of muzzleloading firearm in Russia.

ASP are the initials of Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin. My first thought in my choice is that the name of the deadly poisonous snake is quite apropos. The historical context is that Pushkin died when “bitten” by a dueling pistol at the age of 37 in 1837. Many, many Russians then and now consider Pushkin to be their greatest Russian poet of all time, and that he was the catalyst in establishing modern Russian literature. Born into Russian nobility, the use of a dueling pistol was particular to his social status. Sadly, a dueling pistol was what took his life at the hand of Georges d'Anthès. The duel took place near the Black River just outside of St. Petersburg.

I continue researching the pistol, which Pushkin used. Yes, I know that his pistol was not a Trapper. But when I look at this painting of that duel, I see a similar-looking pistol in Pushkin’s hand. My imagination and curiosity soar with interest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileduel_of_Pushkin_and_d'Anthes_(19th_century).jpg

Along with the weapons used, I’m also researching the whys and wherefores behind this duel. Pushkin himself was fascinated with the dueling tradition. In fact, I think I will re-read his well-known novel-in-verse, “Eugene Onegin.” A duel weaves throughout that story.

That is how my Trapper got its name. It has been fun participating in this naming thread.

wiksmo

Back