• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NAA BP revolvers forum appropriate?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly Adams

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering if these are appropriate to discuss on the forum, or if their stainless construction renders them too modern for the scope of what we discuss here. They seem like sort of a gray area, though, considering they have a rather traditional ignition system.

Thoughts?

I have one. If it it truly deemed forum appropriate, I will try to do a thorough review on it here. One thing I will say, is that you get soot on your thumb when you fire unless you keep it well out of the way. I really do like shooting it though and it is made very well.

omg! those are so cool!
How much powder do you load into one of these?

It is a cap and ball, loaded by hand...thus it this should be no different than talking about the Ruger Old Army. It isn't PC at all, yet we talk about them all the time.

Next will be those gaslight parlor pistols that shoot a 17 cal pellet with just a percussion cap.

There have been a host of black powder novelties over the years. Not quite big guns, but not little kids' toys either.

They should be classified under the category: "How many times can you shoot a mugger without stopping him".

Cynthialee said:
omg! those are so cool!
How much powder do you load into one of these?

It is a cap and ball, loaded by hand...thus it this should be no different than talking about the Ruger Old Army. It isn't PC at all, yet we talk about them all the time.

Cyn, they're really something else, very well made little things! I use about 4 grains of FFFFG in mine. That's what the included scooper measures. A lot more noise and power than one might expect. They also make one based on the .22 mag frame that has a longer barrel and cylinder, as well as larger grips.

I don't think I see any reason the little pistols couldn't be discussed here.

They cannot use cartridges and the cylinder is loaded from the front and they use percussion caps to fire the powder charge just like other cap & ball pistols.

As for the powder charge, the .22 short was loaded with 4 grains of black powder and shot a 29 grain slug which makes this little pistol basically the same load (minus a bit to account for the gas lost thru the open percussion nipple).

They are very well made. All NAA stuff is surprisingly fine. Still, can't justify the price for a little blackpowder gun like that to myself -- never been able to pull the trigger.

:rotf:

The company should put all that engineering and tech saavy into a full size target grade 36 caliber model.

Alden said:
They are very well made. All NAA stuff is surprisingly fine. Still, can't justify the price for a little blackpowder gun like that to myself -- never been able to pull the trigger.

:rotf:

They feel like swiss watches. The sound of the action is one of the best things about it, and the feel is supremely satisfying. The quality is very evident.

Cynthialee said:
4 grains of 4f powder and a 29 grain bullet...Neat little rat gun.
Rat gun?
I have one (NAA BP revolver )
I couldn't hit a rat with it........even if I was holding the rat!
They are a cute novelty, not recommended to walk about with one loaded in your pocket.
Fred

For something as quality as an old army, 500 dollars would be cheap. Beats near useless half toys that they make now.

Old Ford said:
Cynthialee said:
4 grains of 4f powder and a 29 grain bullet...Neat little rat gun.
Rat gun?
I have one (NAA BP revolver )
I couldn't hit a rat with it........even if I was holding the rat!
They are a cute novelty, not recommended to walk about with one loaded in your pocket.
Fred

I wouldn't say these little guns are "inaccurate" for what they are. We are never going to see good accuracy out of a 1" barrel. That are however, VERY hard to shoot. Especially those with larger hands. After some time leading where to aim with only a front sight, and pulling the trigger straight back, so as not to alter the gun's position, reasonable accuracy out to a few yards becomes possible.

My best guess is that fouling pretty well trashes the rifling by the second or third shot, and I am not too sure how well bore butter will work in front of the projectiles.

Back