• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

N.Y. Residents Upset Over Sale of Cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowpoke

50 Cal.
Reaction score
By BEN DOBBIN
Associated Press Writer

March 19, 2005, 2:18 PM EST

KENDALL, N.Y. -- Driving down to the village on a weekend errand, Colin Zimmerman passed tiny Greenwood Cemetery and did a double-take: The 816-pound cast iron cannon that had adorned the graves of Civil War veterans for more than a century was gone.

"I just couldn't believe it," said Zimmerman, 45, a utility foreman. "I'm saying to myself, where the heck is it?"

The Union muzzleloader, forged in 1862, was quietly sold in December to the Civil War Artillery Museum near Pittsburgh and hauled away a few weeks ago. The five-member town board accepted $15,000, plus a replica cannon worth $5,000, and purposely told only a few people.

Protesters think the town of 2,800 people in farm country near Lake Ontario was duped into selling off a vital piece of its heritage, but Town Supervisor John Becker said the money went into a trust fund to help pay for the cemetery's upkeep. The replica will be installed soon, he said.

Thousands of obsolete cannons were given to veterans' groups, cemetery associations and municipalities in the half-century after the Civil War. Many were melted down in scrap metal drives during the world wars and fewer than 5,700 are known to survive.

"I could guarantee you that if you removed a veterans' item from World War II, that might be the last election you ever won," said Michael Aikey, director of the New York State Military Museum in Saratoga Springs. "The federal government doesn't give things away. Most ordnance pieces in cemeteries and public areas are really on loan."

However, the government also sold many surplus arms to businesses that later resold them, muddying the ownership trail of undocumented cannons like Kendall's, said artillery expert Wayne Stark, who maintains a "National Registry of Surviving Civil War Artillery."

"Every place is different," Stark said. "Some maintain the cannons, and I'd rather see them stay there, but so many are ignored. If it takes private ownership to save them, that's better than them rusting away and disappearing."

Greenwood Cemetery sits on about five acres of land donated by a Revolutionary War soldier. Around a concrete base where the cannon once stood are the white marble gravestones of Civil War veterans.

"Those men died for us," Zimmerman said with a trembling voice. "My dad was in the service and so was his dad, and there's kids dying right now over in Iraq so that I have the opportunity to voice my concerns."

The 4-year-old artillery museum in Venetia, Pa. boasts the nation's second biggest private collection of Civil War artillery, with 26 cannons, howitzers and mortars.

Owner Kenneth Watterson, a retired manufacturing executive, opens the museum next to his home by appointment only, drawing a few hundred visitors a year, and is preparing to move it to Philadelphia.

Watterson wouldn't discuss the Kendall controversy, insisting that "it's a legal sale." He also wouldn't be say if he'd consider sending the cannon back.

Last year, he returned two cannons he'd bought for $70,000 from an American Legion post in Summit Hill, Pa. The town claimed rightful ownership and "a court case would have cost more than the cannons were worth," Watterson said. "But it was the right thing to do."

His assistant curator, Bruce Stiles, started making offers for Kendall's cannon in 2000.

"When he said $20,000, we said, `Wait a minute, now we have something that people will steal," said Becker, the supervisor.

The board obtained the backing of several prominent families in town but, fearful of attracting thieves, kept the deal largely under wraps, Becker said.

"I think the board made the right decision," Becker said. "Yes, there will be some people I'm sure who don't agree with that but this is America, they're allowed to do that.

SP

Hey, if this museum moves to Philadelphia, that might be enough to cause me to re-visit this, my home town. :winking:

Don't know that such is a good vuenue for anything weapons-related, though: hell, Philadelphia prohibits the carrying of pocketknives! :(

Capt. William

I'd be hot if I was from that town. It is my understanding that many cannon on such spots are still government property and on a loan basis. Many others were gifted through the D.A.R. and I'm sure there was no intention of scrapping or wholesaleing them after a time.

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Different war, same sentiment. Selling off the monuments borders on breaking faith, in my estimation. :curse:

Different war, same sentiment. Selling off the monuments borders on breaking faith, in my estimation.

I hope the voters in that town see it the way you do. I don't have a problem with CW cannons going to a museum, but I don't think it's right for politicians to sell off public property. In my opinion that really crosses the border of breaking the faith and borders on fraud, and to imply that their hiding the decision from the people to prevent theft; it never ceases to amaze me how little respect for the intelligence of their constituancy these B@$t@rds have.

Perhaps Ms. Rodham-Clinton is simply removing the remainder of the fire arms from NY...

just a thought... P-C

In my opinion that really crosses the border of breaking the faith and borders on fraud, and to imply that their hiding the decision from the people to prevent theft

in a town of 2800 people....is there really a crime problem in this town :hmm: ....maybe some town kids and vandlisum but a theft of a heavy cannon....maybe they were afraid of some one from town doing this to save the cannon....and did the money really go to the cem..................bob

A CW cannon was stole from the cemetary here in my home town and the population is less than 3000. It was found about 100 miles west and it was returned to the cemetary.
No one was ever charged with the theft.
They have since anchored it securely so it can't be removed with out it being a major task.
The sale of this cannon should be brought up to the congressman and senators of all the states. If the federal govn't loaned it/gave it as a gift,then it is the peoples property not the local polititians, and if handeled correctly they may not have to worry about NOT being elected next time, but should be more worried about being REMOVED from office.

Woody

Back during the anti war '70's, a small town in NW NJ had its cannon re-furbished...great outcry from the anti's...'money could be sent as reparations to the people we've attacked, et c" that kind of thing. When the matter had simmered and boiled for about 3 weeks, being featured in the local weekly newspaper, the paper printed a letter. It was from the chap who actually owned the cannon, and the piece of ground on the main street where it sat. He pointed this out, and finished by saying, "it's my cannon, and my money...shut up and mind your own damn business..."
kind of heartwarming outcome...Hank

Back