• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mz from new york?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's either a 34 or 35 caliber half stock, but it's much daintier than a Hawken rifle. Slightly more robust than a later southern mountain rifle would have been though. I think mine is from the 1840 to 1860 period, but I'd like to have an expert properly ID it for me.

IMG_20191209_125556265.jpg

Most rifles we know of from NY state are halfstock, smaller caliber percussion rifles. Usually stocked in walnut. Some are very fine, like very good English quality and others made for a lower price point. Some have a slight fish belly. Deer inlays on cheekpiece are common. But some western NY guns made in Buffalo look made for western trade.

Rich's response is a good one. If you are really interested in NY guns, check out the 5 volume set of "The New York State Firearms Trade". It has excellent photos of virtually every type of flintlock and later
Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 11.44.34 AM.png
percussion guns from sidelocks, to back action locks, mule ear, under hammer, and multi-barrel type ... they made everything! Here's an example of what Rich was mentioning by Almond D. Bishop of Decatur, New York.

Nice rifle, are fun from the Hudson bay co. Forget if that's the name considered ny guns. As a new Yorker it would be cool to have a gun made and used around here. I'm guessing there are some kits of these N.Y. Rifles.

I've been wanting to get a smooth bore, something I can use for small game, turkey, and deer. Are there any sb from ny, what about a colonial. I really like them kibler kits.

I’ve never seen specific kits for NY rifles.

Smoothbore from NY state include Hudson Valley fowling pieces sand British style fowling pieces. Examples can be seen in Grinslade’s book Flintlock Fowlers. Great resource and not overly expensive.

Back