• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mystery tool/gauge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
Okay, this has stumped a tool and die maker, a machinest, a machine set-up guy, and a few others...

My grandfather did a lot of woodworking at home,,, built lots of us kids wood toys and puzzles,,, as well as doing lots of other things with tools. Worked on machines at the local paper plants. He had quite the woodshop at home. He passed many years ago, but my uncle lived there until he passed a few months ago,,, so I never really went through the tools until now.
One of the things I found, and probably the only one I have no explanation for is this,,,,
20221011_152528.jpg
20221011_152535.jpg
20221011_152544.jpg

The little brass numbers in the little circular windows move. The set closest to the pointy tip move when that tip is rotated. The others move with the turning of the little knobs on the side opposite them.

Anyone know what this is, what it's for, how it is used?

Last edited:
A form of mechanical tachometer? Right & left so it could measure in both directions. If you continue to turn the shaft do the other numbers in the windows eventually change?

Attachments

• vintage-s-starrett-speed-indicator_1_2ad4bb937ca4d710364ed58ae18d11c5.jpg
    vintage-s-starrett-speed-indicator_1_2ad4bb937ca4d710364ed58ae18d11c5.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 0
I think you guys are getting close. I searched for Antique Mechanical Tachometer. And this popped up.

Just need to narrow down the country that made it.

I included German in my searches and came up with nothing.

What other countries speak German?

Attachments

• db03128d2829b868578cf3d8de20c840--vintage-tools-antique-tools.jpg
    db03128d2829b868578cf3d8de20c840--vintage-tools-antique-tools.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0
I think you guys are getting close. I searched for Antique Mechanical Tachometer. And this popped up.

Just need to narrow down the country that made it.

I included German in my searches and came up with nothing.

What other countries speak German?
They speak German in Austria and Switzerland... also you might encounter it in some of the old German colonies in Africa. The Amish and Mennonite communities in America speak a German dialect as well. I can understand them and they can understand me, but we often use different words for the same concept; i.e.: "zu Hause" vs. "zu Heim" which both mean "at home" sort of.

Also, Milwaukee, WI was and still is a major German settlement. It used to be a pretty common place to get things machined as well, so I suppose it COULD have come from Milwaukee.

Latest posts

Back