• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My very own .36 Cal !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is now finished, a .36 cal that I have always wanted.
Though I usually choose Cherry, I really like the medium-grade Maple stock that Katherine and/or Jim selected for this one. More figure than I expected! After doing all the prep work and staining it I decided that I would like just a bit more shine to it so I wiped on a few extra light varnish applications.
I graduated the nose of the comb down a bit, added a simple toe plate and also a German Silver Hunter Star on the shaped cheek piece, with just a simple line carving behind it for decoration.
I think it looks sweet.
Now back to the bench...
That is very nice, you have a beautiful rifle!

I think there are some workshops that assist folks in building these kits. Perhaps some people here know of some? And thank you for your compliment!
I am in California, for now. Muzzleloaders are not on the radar here. I’ve looked around and there is a muzzleloader club shoot about 2 hours from me once a month. I am a craftsman, 3rd generation, I greatly admire the rifle building skill and want to learn. I’m thinking I had just better jump in and get my feet wet.

I am in California, for now. Muzzleloaders are not on the radar here. I’ve looked around and there is a muzzleloader club shoot about 2 hours from me once a month. I am a craftsman, 3rd generation, I greatly admire the rifle building skill and want to learn. I’m thinking I had just better jump in and get my feet wet.
There is a lot of tutorials on the internet. Lots.

That looks a better rifle than what I make, oh so nice, I used oak on my last flintlock it's so difficult to shape all feathery and splits. Just cannot get decent maple in uk, the walnuts a bit soft , but I have a cherry tree needs cutting down.......will you shoot patch ball or a bullet for deer , I could produce 900 ft lbs of energy .....as you probably know I have a double .36 percusion rifle ,maybe 1885 , mint bores, me thinking outside the box with Sierra pistol bullets for deer, just dreaming I am not allowed to shoot it in uk, France maybe, U.K. police won't give me a shotgun S2 cert let alone a S1 rifle cert, might shoot intruders at 78 just got back from Firtamentura Cannaries. Nothing to shoot there just a pile of sand..... Very nice it makes us all happy

That is purty! If not a Pathfinder Trade Secret, how did you attach the German silver star? It looks inletted, but no screws or studs that I can see.

Though I usually choose Cherry, I really like the medium-grade Maple stock that Katherine and/or Jim selected for this one. More figure than I expected! After doing all the prep work and staining it I decided that I would like just a bit more shine to it so I wiped on a few extra light varnish applications.
I graduated the nose of the comb down a bit, added a simple toe plate and also a German Silver Hunter Star on the shaped cheek piece, with just a simple line carving behind it for decoration.
I think it looks sweet.
Now back to the bench...
Beautiful gun!

I think it looks sweet.
Now back to the bench...
Pathfinder, you made a very nice gun there, I'm thinking between one of these or possibly getting a Chamber PA fowler......decisions. decisions! I also like your dulcimers, I have no experience with playing an instrument like those but my daughter plays the violin... maybe the apple from the tree.... you know what I mean!

Pathfinder, you made a very nice gun there, I'm thinking between one of these or possibly getting a Chamber PA fowler......decisions. decisions! I also like your dulcimers, I have no experience with playing an instrument like those but my daughter plays the violin... maybe the apple from the tree.... you know what I mean!
Hi Hatman, thanks very much for your nice comment! I have heard great things about Chambers and I was looking at his Fowler also, the New England one.
theMountain Dulcimer is actually one of the easiest stringed instruments to play-traditionally just the diatonic scalewhich can be tuned to a variety of modes. It’s also uniquely American and born in the hills on Appalachia, which is why it’s also known as the Appalachian Mountain Dulcimer. You can get a nice used one on eBay for a hundred bucks or so, and plenty of tutorials on line to learn with. And they sound so haunting and melodious. And needno flints or caps, either 🤤

Hi Hatman, thanks very much for your nice comment! I have heard great things about Chambers and I was looking at his Fowler also, the New England one.
theMountain Dulcimer is actually one of the easiest stringed instruments to play-traditionally just the diatonic scalewhich can be tuned to a variety of modes. It’s also uniquely American and born in the hills on Appalachia, which is why it’s also known as the Appalachian Mountain Dulcimer. You can get a nice used one on eBay for a hundred bucks or so, and plenty of tutorials on line to learn with. And they sound so haunting and melodious. And needno flints or caps, either 🤤
Thanks for the come back Pathfinder! I'll have to look into the Ebay thing and see what's available. No flints....a good one!

Latest posts

Back