• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My Traditions Kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

40 Cal
Reaction score
So my fellow MLer friends. My Traditions Kentucky is 99.9% finished. The .1% being a Johnson rear peep sight that will be browned and mounted. Here are the results that the builder did. I now have what I believe is a unique and in my opinion a 1 of a kind Kentucky rifle.

IMG_1690.jpgIMG_1691.jpgIMG_1694.jpgIMG_1693.jpgIMG_1695.jpgIMG_1696.jpg

Quite nice. The stock architecture is now much, much nicer than the factory offering.
I was very impressed that he was able to blend the 2 pieces of the stock considering that there was a slight color difference. In this picture you can see the slight color difference

Origstock.jpg

Last edited:
What type of stain did you use? I like the way yours turned out. I’m getting ready to redo the stock on my CVA Kentucky.
All I was told by the guy who built my Kentucky is that he used some kind of acid. The same kind used to stain curly maple stocks.

What type of stain did you use? I like the way yours turned out. I’m getting ready to redo the stock on my CVA Kentucky.
Google " what kind of acid is used to stain curly maple stocks". tannic acid to accentuate maple figure. This is used in conjunction with ferric or iron nitrate in the staining process.

Be careful with the ferric nitrate solution. I did a test on a piece of a stock blank and it turned black. It wasn't maple but neither is the stock on most of the CVA and Traditions.

Very nice! I like the wood spacer you used instead of the brass that it comes with. It adds a personal touch.

I agree. When I first contacted him I had told him I wanted something unique and maybe 1 of a kind. I think him came though especially that brass side plate

Thanks. I wish I could take credit for it. But the guy who completed the kit for me gave me everything I asked for. I couldn't have done it any where near as awesome as he did. Now just waiting for him to get the Johnson peep sight so he can brown it and get it mounted.

peep2.jpg

Thanks. I wish I could take credit for it. But the guy who completed the kit for me gave me everything I asked for. I couldn't have done it any where near as awesome as he did. Now just waiting for him to get the Johnson peep sight so he can brown it and get it mounted.

View attachment 115600
How is he intending to mount the sight?

the brass with a wood filler and bond it permanently. However, not doing so gives it the flexibility of being a take down.

No. He said better not to bond together permanently.

replace

plan to

Interesting. I'm going to be doing one over the nextto few monthsplan and I

Back