• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My Toy CVA Cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll probably dawn on me what it means right after I send this reply. But I'm having a senior moment, what is MEK?

It'll probably dawn on me what it means right after I send this reply. But I'm having a senior moment, what is MEK?

Euty', your not having a senior moment. It is Methyl Ethyl Ketone. It is stronger than Acetone partly because it does not evaporate as fast as acetone. Acetone is the main ingredient in old school nail polish. Some stores sell the regular nail polish and a non acetone nail polish. At the Dollar General stores around here you can buy both types. Maybe Zonie will jump in on this because I thought MEK was for industrial uses and not available to the public. I use acetone nail polish as a cleaner because it"s cheap and it works. I hope this helps.

Euty', your not having a senior moment. It is Methyl Ethyl Ketone. It is stronger than Acetone partly because it does not evaporate as fast as acetone. Acetone is the main ingredient in old school nail polish. Some stores sell the regular nail polish and a non acetone nail polish. At the Dollar General stores around here you can buy both types. Maybe Zonie will jump in on this because I thought MEK was for industrial uses and not available to the public. I use acetone nail polish as a cleaner because it"s cheap and it works. I hope this helps.
Do you mean nail polish or nail polish remover?

I guess it depends on what part of the woods your living in but in Phoenix, you can buy MEK at the local Ace Hardware store.
Another thing that will degrease or remove oils from metal is automotive throttle body cleaner.

All of the things I mentioned should be used outdoors. Many of them are bad for people to breath or even get on their bodies. I've read that acetone can be absorbed by your skin and it is bad for your liver.

I guess it depends on what part of the woods your living in but in Phoenix, you can buy MEK at the local Ace Hardware store.
Another thing that will degrease or remove oils from metal is automotive throttle body cleaner.

All of the things I mentioned should be used outdoors. Many of them are bad for people to breath or even get on their bodies. I've read that acetone can be absorbed by your skin and it is bad for your liver.

Zonie, thanks for info on MEK. I didn't know it was available to the public. I might also add I always wear heavy latex gloves when using acetone or any other solvent.

I made a bunch of them years ago. Gave some away, this is what I have left.
IMG_0172.jpeg

.50 cal
IMG_0173.jpeg

Both 1" bores
DSCN0195.jpg

2" bore
Alway had a whale of a good time on the fourth, still do, just a bit more measured I guess.
Robby

I made a bunch of them years ago. Gave some away, this is what I have left.
View attachment 16471
.50 cal
View attachment 16472
Both 1" bores
View attachment 16473
2" bore
Alway had a whale of a good time on the fourth, still do, just a bit more measured I guess.
Robby

Robby, very cool. I really like the display with the naval gunner and soldier. Very creative. I'm guessing there might be a market for these, even if it is a small one. You might try posting them for sale in this forums classifieds and see what happens.

i am a welder. I once made a small cannon from scratch. Shot .451 lead ball. Welded breech (yes, i know, iffy). had spoked wheels that turned. The few times I fired it, put it behind a stout oak tree. It probably weighed 3 ponds. It would flip over backwards a ft away

i am a welder. I once made a small cannon from scratch. Shot .451 lead ball. Welded breech (yes, i know, iffy). had spoked wheels that turned. The few times I fired it, put it behind a stout oak tree. It probably weighed 3 ponds. It would flip over backwards a ft away

FatBack, your cannon sounds interesting. I wish I had your skills. One of my grandsons is studying to be a machinist and he is into firearms, so maybe so day he will make one. Mine still flips but not as bad as before when I had not used an elevation wedge to keep the barrel mostly parallel to the ground. I'm guessing mine is in the area of a 1 1/2 to 2 pounds. What kind of charge did you use? If you still have it, post a picture. This thread seems to have brought a whole platoon of miniature cannoneers. Thanks for posting.

FatBack, your cannon sounds interesting. I wish I had your skills. One of my grandsons is studying to be a machinist and he is into firearms, so maybe so day he will make one. Mine still flips but not as bad as before when I had not used an elevation wedge to keep the barrel mostly parallel to the ground. I'm guessing mine is in the area of a 1 1/2 to 2 pounds. What kind of charge did you use? If you still have it, post a picture. This thread seems to have brought a whole platoon of miniature cannoneers. Thanks for posting.
Sure, no problem. Sorry but no pics.
Friend took a shine to it and wanted to trade for a non firing, replica colt. Several years back

He had always been generous with me, so i swapped. Flat out told him, only MZ loading propellants NEVER smokeless and for Gawd sake, no flash powder...etc from fireworks. Told him flat out, if you do..shrapnel grenade.

Man is over 45 yo with a CDL. You'd think he'd have the sense to listen, right? Wrong...told me how he put FLASH powder in it and warped the frame. Now i regret putting it in his hands. Some people...

~ charge- about 25 grains, smoothbore, overbore. About 3 inch barrel travel.

Sure, no problem. Sorry but no pics.
Friend took a shine to it and wanted to trade for a non firing, replica colt. Several years back

He had always been generous with me, so i swapped. Flat out told him, only MZ loading propellants NEVER smokeless and for Gawd sake, no flash powder...etc from fireworks. Told him flat out, if you do..shrapnel grenade.

Man is over 45 yo with a CDL. You'd think he'd have the sense to listen, right? Wrong...told me how he put FLASH powder in it and warped the frame. Now i regret putting it in his hands. Some people...

~ charge- about 25 grains, smoothbore, overbore. About 3 inch barrel travel.

FB, really sorry to hear about your cannon. Don't blame your friend to much. People who do not know about muzzleloading don't understand the power of black powder. Well you just never know you might end up with another one. Your load of 25 grains seems right on. Thanks for sharing the unfortunate events surrounding your cannon.

FB, really sorry to hear about your cannon. Don't blame your friend to much. People who do not know about muzzleloading don't understand the power of black powder. Well you just never know you might end up with another one. Your load of 25 grains seems right on. Thanks for sharing the unfortunate events surrounding your cannon.
I can always make another one. Welding is magic:) Just gave my 27 YO friend his first lessons today. He did OK with a 120V 120 amp, flux cored wire feed welder.
If I do, I wont shoot shot out of it, salute cannon only. I understand welded breeches are not looked on, favorably.

I cant help but want to smack him. He is a grown man and not only did I caution only MZL propellants but explained exactly why, bore pressures..,etc

Never fails, all modern repro MZLs clearly have "bp only" stamped on the barrel, yet some grown adult will tear apart modern, smokeless rounds and stuff the gun with it.

Last edited:
FatBack, as a welder I'm sure you could produce a safe welded breech. I had a number of certs, lots of experience and held a Virginia T&I teacher's certificate in welding (and one in auto mechanics too) for 25 years and I'm positive I could. It's not something I would recommend for Harry Homeowner with a Harbor Freight outfit though.

Back