• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My third pair of Pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the introduction:
My wife showed me this sign.
In english:
Men never grow up. Only the toys are getting more expensive😂
IMG_7018[1].JPG

Found them near this beautiful town.
IMG_6979[1].JPG

IMG_6971[1].JPG

More in a few days, still has to pick them up
IMG_6967[1].JPG

Today I was finally able to pick them up. there will be more to the story in the next days. I still have to work on it.

If what i think is true. The pistols come from the high nobility.

Caliber 41

The pistol barrels insid are sparkling clean.
It was absolutely worth the 500 miles drive.

EXCUSE MY WEIRD ENGLISH. GOOGLE DOES THAT FOR ME. 😜
IMG_7102[1].JPG
IMG_7103[1].JPG
IMG_7104[1].JPG
IMG_7105[1].JPG
IMG_7106[1].JPG
IMG_7107[1].JPG
IMG_7109[1].JPG
IMG_7113[1].JPG
IMG_7111[1].JPG
IMG_7112[1].JPG

Wow!!! Seems to have all the tools foe a complete take down including a main spring vise.
What is the square deep set stud behind the rear sight, I don't see a tool for it?
IMG_7105[1].JPG

Is that some sort of safety lever just ahead of the hammer?
IMG_7107[1].JPG

Thank you for showing these fine guns.
Robby

They are stunning. Thanks for posting the photos. We would like to hear more of their history.

Wow. Absolutely beautiful. That's what I like about the European black powder guns that alot of them are beautifuly decorated unlike the American ones which are more utilitarian. But we do have more.

Bayer 1957, Outstanding!!! Thank you very much for posting the pics and please tell us more on their history when you have time. :thumb:

I found out some things about the Pistols.

The pistols were one of the exhibition in the Marienburg. Palace of the Royal House of Hanover.

Therefore the cover of the pistol box has been removed and replaced with a glass pane.
IMG_7139[1].JPG

In 2005 the works of art were auctioned off by Sotheby`s

Schloss Marienburg: Welfen-Versteigerung bringt 44 Millionen Euro (rp-online.de)

They were art treasures from the Dukes of Brunswick, the Electors of Hanover, the Kings of England and the Dukes of Cumberland.

Unfortunately there are no coats of arms on the pistols to assign them to a family.
IMG_7134[1].JPG

At the time of the auction there was only one pistol in the box.
IMG_E7133[1].JPG

In 2013, the other pistol was auctioned off in a German auction house. One of my previous owners put them back together.

A small miracle that the two pistols have found together again.
IMG_7137[1].JPG

That’s a gorgeous pair of continental target pistols. I’ve always liked the screw adjustable rear sights you find on a lot of French and Liege pistols and the hammer stall safeties popular on Germanic guns.

Moin, und herzlichen Dank für die Ergänzung zu deinen neuen Erwerb! Ich finde die ganze Geschichte und den Hintergrund doch höchst interessant.

Wow!!! Seems to have all the tools foe a complete take down including a main spring vise.
What is the square deep set stud behind the rear sight, I don't see a tool for it?
View attachment 117711
Is that some sort of safety lever just ahead of the hammer?
View attachment 117712
Thank you for showing these fine guns.
Robby
The stud screw adjusts elevation of the rear sight, nice set of target pistols !!!
Austrians made some very fine firearms that produce excellent accuracy !!

The stud screw adjusts elevation of the rear sight, nice set of target pistols !!!
Austrians made some very fine firearms that produce excellent accuracy !!
Yes they did. I have never seen a sight adjuster like that, I've probably looked at hundreds of pictures of dueling, and or target pistols in flint and cap lock and never seen anything even close to this one being depicted. I would love to see the mechanic's of how it works and all its intricacies.
Very cool!!!!!
Robby

Back