• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My South Bend barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zulu

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is my 36" long, 1 1/2" bore South Bend Barrel.
I built the split trail carriage as well as the wheels. The wheels are 36" in diameter but are not dished. :idunno:
This gun lives in my house in the foyer. When I open the front door, this is the first thing I see. :shocked2:
I'm not sure if I am allowed to talk about the building process here but I do have some "in progress" pictures. Moderator?
Zulu

whitecannon2.jpg

whitecannonipg.jpg

Whitecannon13001.jpg

ZULU i be of interest to see the pics if the mods wont let you post send me a PM and you can send via email

That is totaly what I had in mind when I told my sweety I wanted a cannon. This is exactly what I was told I am not allowed to have.

Do you ever fire it?
What's it like?
Whats the maximum range?
Let me live vicariously through you please...
:haha:

I have only fired blanks in it.
I used 3 oz. of 2F and it sounds great! :thumbsup:
Zulu

I am going to go out on a limb and post some carriage build pictures. I hope they are okay to post.
Zulu

Cutting and shaping the spokes for the wheels

whitecannon2_1.jpg

whitecannon3.jpg

Glueing the wood for the hubs

whitecannon4.jpg

Turning the hubs

whitecannon5.jpg

Drilling the hubs for spokes

whitecannon6.jpg

All parts for wheels finished

whitecannon7.jpg

Side cheeks ready to fit to axle

whitecannon8.jpg

whitecannon9.jpg

fit metal work

whitecannon10.jpg

paint and assemble

whitecannon11.jpg

It guards the front door

whitecannon12.jpg

Great pics. Great that it is a firing model. Did you forge the straps or is it flatbar? Nice work.

The straps are all 3/16" flat bar that I ground to shape with an angle grinder.
Zulu

Claypipe,
I have read the proper way to fit the tires is to heat a pre-welded ring and drop it on, allowing it to shrink as it cools.
This is not the way I opted to do it.
In this case, I had my 2" X 3/16" flat strap rolled into a 36" diameter circle.
I wrapped it around the felloes of the wheel and cut off the excess so that the two ends had about a 3/8" gap between them.
I then welded a small piece of angle to each end. Each angle had a hole in it. I connected the angles with a 1/2" bolt through the holes.
When I tightened the bolt, it drew the two ends together. All the while I hammered around the tire with a heavy mallet to seat all the spokes as tightly as possible.
When the two ends of the tire met, I welded the seam and quickly cooled the weld with water so as not to burn the wood.
Then I removed the bolt and ground off the welds on the angles.
The result was a very tight tire with no loose spokes.
I used no glue in the process.
After the tire was set, I drilled holes through it and the felloe for a through bolt in six locations. Also at this time I drilled and installed the felloe splices.
It is an extremely strong wheel.
It is not dished as it should be.
The dishing process is a very involved procedure that requires angled tenons on the spokes. I opted not to do it on these wheels.
Zulu
Michael

The carriage appears to be white, but computers sometimes change colors of things. How did you choose the color?

The carriage is white.
There was no rhyme or reason in the choice. I chose white because that's the color I wanted. :idunno:
Zulu

I have met Michael and enjoyed a 'few' adult beverages with him.

I can say with much certainty that there is only one Zulu.

Gary

Latest posts

Back