• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My small originals collection.... M-1842 Harper Ferry, 1849 Colt and 2 1860 Colts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sadly don't have much history at all on these guns. I picked them all up locally, almost by accident and with out much of a cash outlay IMO.

The Harpers Ferry and bayonet were recently acquired though a trade at gun shop. The shop usally has nothing but black guns but this visit I spied this guy leaning up in the corner. Must of been a recent trade in on a AR. I traded owner some Russian mil-surp guns that I valued around 8-$900.

One of the 1860 army's was bought from a friend who acquired it from a coworker who found it stuffed up in the rafters. He sold to my buddy for around $200-250. It is numbers matching but was missing a screw or two along with the loading lever I believe. My pal isn't a black powder guy and wanted cash for a 9mm so he sold it to me at what I thought was a great deal, $475.

The other army was at a small town gun shop that I stop by once a month or so. It had a price tag of $1200 on it. I asked to look at it and the owner asked me what I all know about them. I told him not really that much, but what I could tell him was that the gun was a non matching parts gun. He looked it over and agreed. The next month when I stopped in he had reduced the price to $450, so I bought it.

The numbers matching 1849 Colt was a local gun show buy. I seldom see any black powder guns much less originals at shows. Well, a dealer with a table of AR's etc had this little guy mixed in. I was looking at it and had no intention of buying it as I thought it would be out of my price range. The dealer said "make a offer" I smiled and half jokingly said something like $300 and he said SOLD.

originals.jpeg

original pistols.jpeg

Last edited:
Great scores on your collection Toothpick, do you shoot them ?
If the rifling is decent on your Colts with their progressive twist rifling they will still produce nice groups for you with the correct diameter projectiles.. My original Colts & Remingtons perform best with .457 -.460 diam. round balls.
The vents on most original nipples are often corroded & become oversized so for shooting I replace them with new Treso nipples to obtain even load pressures & better groups for competition.
Relic shooter

Sadly don't have much history at all on these guns. I picked them all up locally, almost by accident and with out much of a cash outlay IMO.

The Harpers Ferry and bayonet were recently acquired though a trade at gun shop. The shop usally has nothing but black guns but this visit I spied this guy leaning up in the corner. Must of been a recent trade in on a AR. I traded owner some Russian mil-surp guns that I valued around 8-$900.

One of the 1860 army's was bought from a friend who acquired it from a coworker who found it stuffed up in the rafters. He sold to my buddy for around $200-250. It is numbers matching but was missing a screw or two along with the loading lever I believe. My pal isn't a black powder guy and wanted cash for a 9mm so he sold it to me at what I thought was a great deal, $475.

The other army was at a small town gun shop that I stop by once a month or so. It had a price tag of $1200 on it. I asked to look at it and the owner asked me what I all know about them. I told him not really that much, but what I could tell him was that the gun was a non matching parts gun. He looked it over and agreed. The next month when I stopped in he had reduced the price to $450, so I bought it.

The numbers matching 1849 Colt was a local gun show buy. I seldom see any black powder guns much less originals at shows. Well, a dealer with a table of AR's etc had this little guy mixed in. I was looking at it and had no intention of buying it as I thought it would be out of my price range. The dealer said "make a offer" I smiled and half jokingly said something like $300 and he said SOLD.

View attachment 181776

View attachment 181777
Beautiful.

Back