• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

my side lock percussion moutain man rifle like paper patched bullets.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattman

40 Cal
Reaction score
its a custom i built my self, brass tacks and all. 36 inch barrel 50 cal 1/28 twist, yes a 1/28 twist. just swagged and paper wrapped around 450 grain 70 ea. bullets for it to day. i use about 60 grains of powder and a wad between powder and pp bullet. will shoot about the same as a 50/70 rifle. it will take a lot more powder but recoil goes up alot also. if i was younger and still hunted i put 100 grain of powder behind the bullet. one shot that hurts a little is ok for hunting. but not for fun shooting. it a tack driver and has simple open sights. low and fine like the old days. the gun does look just like a typical 1840/s precussion half stock but the 1/28 twist makes it a sleeper. i may put a old type soule sight on the back of it if i can find ones that fits. then i could do long range shooting with it.

Should be no problem.
EM Reilly 50cal 1:20 twist, I sold a few years ago. It shot 500gr PP HP & 550gr PP solid conicals over 75gr Swiss 2f really well.
Same load did very well in a modern 50 1:28 as well.
Good luck

Attachments

• A8CB9B5A-C81E-4EED-B887-5D643DF8A0B2.jpeg
    A8CB9B5A-C81E-4EED-B887-5D643DF8A0B2.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 83
its a custom i built my self, brass tacks and all. 36 inch barrel 50 cal 1/28 twist, yes a 1/28 twist. just swagged and paper wrapped around 450 grain 70 ea. bullets for it to day. i use about 60 grains of powder and a wad between powder and pp bullet. will shoot about the same as a 50/70 rifle. it will take a lot more powder but recoil goes up alot also. if i was younger and still hunted i put 100 grain of powder behind the bullet. one shot that hurts a little is ok for hunting. but not for fun shooting. it a tack driver and has simple open sights. low and fine like the old days. the gun does look just like a typical 1840/s precussion half stock but the 1/28 twist makes it a sleeper. i may put a old type soule sight on the back of it if i can find ones that fits. then i could do long range shooting with it.

I have been doing this for over a dozen years. My 50's shoot Lee 500 S&W bullets wrapped and sized.

JlO6298.jpg

wX2ZKaK.jpg

H1Jkg7v.jpg

My 45 uses a RCBS 11mm rifle bullet

1kWwyAq.jpg

2UMJRHF.jpg

simple and fun to shoot. very very accurate and hard hitting at long range. thanks.

Sounds like a nice rifle. I like shooting conical's more than round ball myself. What type of wood on your stock?

I like shooting these little hollow base bullets in two of my 9.5 mm rifles. They work great for 50-100 yards. If I want to shoot further out can make the mold cast longer bullets. Conicals are fun alright. And very accurate. And I don't have to mess with or carry patching.

Attachments

• .38 mini minies (2).JPG
    .38 mini minies (2).JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 77
Paper patching has always been a mystery to me. I wouldn't know where to start.

I think the "new" 1854 Lorenz from Pedersoli is intended to shoot a paper patched conical bullet. The Cap & Ball guy did a video about this. It was interesting.

Anyway, thanks for posting, fellows! Something more to think about in broadening our shooting horizons.

Notchy Bob

Back