• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My quasi target rifle…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpd303

Nearly Normal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this rifle off of an auction site in 2011 for $180 thinking I could use the parts if nothing else. The seller said that his father had built it and had won many matches with it. After receiving it I thought what an ugly gun. It is a 50 caliber with a coned muzzle and a 1:48 twist barrel with an excellent bore. It shot very well though. I have no idea who the barrel maker is, not a mark anywhere and it appears to be double breeched. The lock has a fly although only a single trigger and no marks either.

After posting about this gun hitting clay birds on the berm at 120 yards, on another thread, I got to thinking that I had not shot it since. I couldn’t remember what load was used and for the life of me I can’t find my notes (note to self make up a spreadsheet for all of my muzzleloaders).

Yesterday I started working up a load again. It still shoots better than I can and I’ve decided to keep it like it is. If for no other reason than to honor the builder.

5u4u1f.jpg

qyxrv8.jpg

xnvwwk.jpg

1236sdu.jpg

4htshx.jpg

ir18xg.jpg

Shot at 32 yards using the loading stand as a steady rest. She seems to like a .490 ball patched with Ox-Yoke .12 oiled patches and 55 gr Goex fffg.

24g4u9i.jpg

I would say you knocked a homerun with that purchase. Gun looks solid and well-built and the target is outstanding. Of course shooting on paper out to 100 yards will tell the tale but its performance at closer range is very encouraging and hitting clay pigeons at 120 yards is quite good. The 13th AF emblem is interesting. I spent 15 months in the Phillippines in the 13th AF back in '69 & '70. I do wonder what kind of rear sight it had originally to have such a big dovetail. Any way, you did well. I will be glad to give you $200 for it right now! Cash!!!

Having spent the better part of 9 years in the Philippines I too noted the 13th AF crest. As long as it shoots good you got a bargain. :hatsoff:

Back